65. The Monster

March 23, 1986

"Let me get this straight, Wayne thinks Victor Creel, had escaped from an asylum and is going around and committing all of the murderers?" Robin questioned the girl who had been walking next to her. She looked toward Robin and the redhead, quickly nodding her head. "Wait, but didn't Victor do all of the murders way back in the fifties?"

"Meaning, this all dates back way before the upside by thirty years." Beverly chewed at her bottom lip, fiddling with the hem of her striped tank top. "God, I wish Ben were here, he knows how to deal with all this history shit. But no, had to go visit Mom." Beverly dragged out the 'o' and the 'm' creating a mockery tone, clearly upset with her boyfriend who was back in Derry.

"Well, if that's true, that makes this murder guy like seventy years old."

Nancy nodded her head again, tapping her finger a few times on the bell that sat on the old ornate front desk of the library. "Cool, grandpa murderer."

"Yeah, I know this all really doesn't make any sense." Nancy chews on her cheek, leaning somewhat further onto the counter. She just wanted answers. She's had enough to deal with the past few years, she just wanted all of this to be over. Maybe, just maybe, she and her friends were wrong this time. Her head pooled with thought, god how much she hoped it wasn't what they had been thinking it was. "I mean, this is why I told you guys it was a shot in the dark."

"Well, I just thought maybe you were being modest, or you know, hiding something absolutely amazing and solid up your sleeve. But, this really is a shot in the dark." Nancy dinged the bell a few more times. Robin eyed her, Nancy was radiating with annoyance. Relief washed over the girl as a woman walked up to them.

"Good afternoon, we were just wondering if we could possibly get the keys to the basement archives?"

"Oh, of course, you young ladies just give me a moment." Beverly and Nancy flashed their most
the friendly smile they could as the woman walked away to retrieve the keys.

"Hey, do I come off as mean or condescending?" Beverly's eyes somewhat widened, she did not want to be in the middle of this conversation. She heard from Richie that he believes his cousin isn't too fond of Robin, but she thought he was incorrect. However, as she watched the two, she realized the trashmouth might have been correct.

Nancy shook her head, clearly lying. "Well, you seemed quite annoyed. I get it, you don't know me that well. To be fair, the first time you ever met me you thought I banged your cousin in the janitor's closet on his first day of school, and then I sort of crashed your prom night. And you probably just think of me as Richie's annoying and rude friend, but trust me when I say this, I don't have good social cues. It's a flaw I get it. My mother loves to remind me all the time." Robin seemed like she wanted to continue, however, the upbeat woman interpreted her, handing off the keys the Nancy.

"Have fun you three." She flashed the three girls a toothy grin, Nancy fixed her face to show she was thankful but her body language was clearly reading off annoyance. The woman tilted her head to the side somewhat, eyeing Robin and the redhead, wondering what was wrong with the Wheeler girl who was already walking away from the desk. Robin shifted her eyes around and shrugged her shoulders, somewhat giggling as the two girls followed behind Nancy Wheeler.

Hours passed as the three girls searched for any answers. Beverly was starting to become defeated as they hadn't come crossed anything yet. Maybe there wasn't anything that could help them.