68. The Creel House

March 23, 1986

Hopper and Eddie were barely conscious as they were being dragged roughly against the jagged cement of the prison, hot streams of blood went down their faces.

They were caught, and they didn't make it.

Hopper shifted his swollen eyes as best he could towards Eddie. He felt like a failure as he saw his beaten face. His eye and cheek were turning a dark shade of purple from their fight this morning, it wasn't a pretty site as blood covered his slender face.

Hopper knew he shouldn't have gotten Eddie wrapped up in his plan. He was so caught up in the thought of escaping this hellhole he didn't even take in the thought this may harm Eddie.

Eddie, the kid that shouldn't even be here. The kid who shot that Russian soldier, in order to save Hopper's life. The kid Hopper promised himself he would protect. The kid that became like his own son.

Hopper failed. He had failed.

The two allowed a grunt to escape their mouths as they were thrown into the cold, hard floor of a jail cell.

They were prisoners once again.

Eddie slowly rolled over onto his back, wincing in pain. He closed his eyes tightly before he coughed, blood slightly dripping out of his mouth. His lungs burned, everything hurt.

Before he even knew it was happening, sobs racked his body. He was mentally and physically exhausted. He was done with everything.

Richie, god, I can't fucking do this anymore. I can't. His breathing became uneven, his tears mixing with the blood on his face. I can't do this anymore.

He could feel his throat somewhat closing.

I know it's hard, Eddie but please, keep going for me. Keep fighting for us. Richie's voice echoed in his head.

Eddie's face somewhat softened. It was the first time in months he willed himself to think about what Richie would be saying to him.

But it worked. It helped him calm down. It was the same tactic he used when he was in the Russian base with Steve, Robin, Dustin, and Erica.

Keep fighting, Spagedward.

Eddie blew air out of his mouth, then he inhaled in. The only reason he kept going was because he wanted to get back to Richie, he wanted to be in his arms again.

So, he couldn't give up now. He needed to keep fighting for him.

Even as his body screamed at him to remain on the ground, he slowly stood, Hopper, hooking an arm around him in order to help.

"Well, it could be worse, Americans." The two turned to see in the corner stood Enzo, or as he was known to the other soldiers as Antonov. "At least you will have company. Your eyes don't deceive you, I'm a prisoner like you two. Yuri, the smuggler, he had betrayed me. He betrayed us."

Hopper's eyes burned with anger, he let go of Eddie once he knew he was steady enough and swung a fist into Enzo's face. "You said we were able to trust him!" His only thought besides Eddie was of Joyce. He couldn't live with himself if he knew he was the cause of not only Eddie being in danger but Joyce as well. "YOU SWORE TO US!"