chapter 18

As soon as Song Zixin returned to the Wang mansion he locked himself in his and Shun Wen Cheng's chambers. 

Song Zixin was raised in an abandoned mansion with his mother, she died after he became twelve leaving him to fend for himself as the marquis didn't want anything to do with him who was an illegitimate son. Song Zixin lived secluded up until the day he married Shun Wen Cheng.

Thinking back Song Zixin took up the chisel and started carving the wood, he heard from Shu Li that Shun Wen Cheng liked the guqin so for Shun Wen Cheng it had to be special. 

He can't read and can't write barely understood characters but he knew the beauty of carving and how important they were. His mother taught him that. 

When Shun Wen Cheng was returning, he smelled his sleeve and he could still smell the stench of freshly spilled blood. He was clean and fine in the eyes as of the others and the Only smell that left his body was the sweet freshly open flower buds. 

But for Shun Wen Cheng he reeked with the stench of true blood, the path he took, the many lives he took innocents and none just to have this one person be okay. 

That's all that matters for his happiness and well being, Lu, one of his shadow guards that was promoted to serve and protect Song Zixin appeared.

"The young master went out today" Lu informs 

"What did he do?" 

"By items, he seems to be making and instrument your highness" Lu adds

"Xin'er is a very creative individual it's really unfortunate that I can't see his work" Shun Wen Cheng said helplessly 

"Well I believe. …. you'll be able to see this one" 

Lu then disappeared to his side as he exited the room, the fresh scent of board and sandalwood filling the air. At one side of the room, Song Zixin focused eyes on the carving into the large piece of rectangular wood, he blew on to it to remove the small pieces of dust and wood. 

Stepping into the room Shun Wen Cheng paused, he didn't want to distract him so he sat at a corner on a carpet listening. 

Song Zixin blew a quick and tired breath wiping away the sweat on his forehead, he wondered where Shun Wen Cheng was and began to worry. He put down the wood with tools and stood up and turned ready to go seek out Shun but was surprised to see him right there. "Ah your highness! How long have you been there?" 

"Not long" he said 

"I see, ah! Why don't we go and get you something to eat you must be famished" he said 

He smiled at Song Zixin, "yes let us eat together" 

Song Zixin smiled as he went and cleaned himself while the servants brought food to the room, it was a lovely feast. Song Zixin looked at him, who was taking up the meals with chopsticks. Picking up a piece of chicken he put it over to Song Zixin's plate, Song Zixin looked at his plate then at Shun Wen Cheng who took up some vegetables and started to eat.

Song Zixin pouts puffing, "you should really eat to become strong!" 

Shun Wen Cheng paused then put down the chopsticks and food then softly chuckled, "but so do you Xin'er" 

"What are you talking about?! I'm strong! I can crush a bear with my biceps!" 

"I highly doubt that, Xin'er your palms are quite small" he said 

It wasn't soft since it was callous and it felt hard but Shun Wen Cheng didn't care, all he wanted was to spend more time with Song Zixin.

"What does it matter?! You should eat more meat it builds bones!" Song Zixin insisted straightening up on the table pointing at him

"But I don't see any meat" he said smiling 

Song Zixin eased back down, "oh right……. wait! You don't see anything!"

Shun Wen Cheng turned away covering his mouth, chuckling as Song Zixin blushed, embarrassed he pouted and avoided eye contact. 

Song Zixin then breathed taking up a piece of meat with the chopsticks and putting his other hand under in case the meat should fall, he barely knows etiquette but with the little he knows it's best to use it towards Shun Wen Cheng. 

"Open your mouth" he said slowly and gently flustered.

Shun Wen Cheng softly smiled then slowly parted his lips open and accepted the piece of meat that was placed into his mouth.

A/n

How do you like SZ efforts towards SWC?