chapter 80

Wang Lei smiled as he gently brushed his master's hair, he seemed more excited than usual, the 18th Prince Shun Yu Xuan wondered what made him so happier than usual. 

Shun Yu Xuan looked in the mirror as Wang Lei completed the long braid at the back. He got up then turned to Wang Lei "Thank you" 

"You're welcome, your highness!" 

Shun Yu Xuan walked past him as he followed today's meeting with his mother's family to discuss serious matters and by serious matters his unwanted marriage proposals in order to improve his power so he can become emperor.

With impairment of the 7th prince's gentiles it's unlikely he'd be able to provide offspring for the empire. The emulation of the imperial Consort Qing had given the other prince's opportunities at taking advantage of the situation, not to mention the 5th prince has been poisoned recently, since this was getting out of hand and so many princes has died before the actual tournament the emperor decided to take things under control.

Shun Yu Xuan walked with Wang Lei two steps behind, "You've never been so excited to join a meeting with my family before". He said 

"Silly master, I'm not in the meeting and I'm not excited about that" Wang Lei said, "master is really stupid,what kind of lover is happy to see their snobbish in-laws?" Wang Lei teases. 

Shun Yu Xuan turned there was a small tinge of blush on his face, "delusional, your not my lover" 

"Who said I was, master has such promiscuous thoughts now, hehe, master wants to do the unthinkable! Disgraceful!" 

Wang Lei leaned forward as Shun Yu Xuan looked away, "You–" 

"So you admit it! Take this man away, he admitted his guilt, he wants to ravish his servant!" 

"Wang Lei!" 

"Xuan!" 

They both paused, then Wang Lei straightened posture as Shun Yu Xuan turned focus to them, sitting at the round table with snacks and tea where his grandfathers and uncle sat.

"Good afternoon, grandfathers, uncle. Mother" 

"Morning Xuan" 

"Good afternoon" 

They glared at Wang Lei who stood behind him firmly, "that servant" his grandfather (mother) pointed.

"Yes" Shun Yu Xuan answered 

"Don't you teach him anything?" 

"??" Wang Lei was confused.

"Wang Lei knows everything he needs to know there is nothing to teach"

Wang Lei happily poured him tea and served him, Shun Yu Xuan took it, drinking. 

"Smitten aren't we? Well what does it matter, your young and hot blooded of course you'd want a pretty little servant. I have an proposal" 

Shun Yu Xuan put his hands into his sleeve, "what is it?" 

His uncle took out two scrolls from his sleeves then opened them. Shun Yu Xuan looked at the paintings of two prominent beauties. He sighed coldly. "No" 

"I haven't even spoken yet!" His grandfather yelled.

"Even so, my answer is still no," he said calmly.

"You– Da Yin talk to him!" 

The imperial concubine looks at him, "will you not be taking snacks" 

"I am fine, mother" 

His grandfather's where speechless, "D-Da Yin" 

"I have spoken, he is fine" he drank the tea. 

His grandfather (mother) stood up mightily, "we need to strengthen our family forces Yu Xuan the emperor is getting older and soon will be time for an heir to the throne, you need a powerful wife beside you!" His grandfather (mother) pointed. 

"I don't think imperial father would approve of such il-thoughts grandmother" 

"Yu Xuan! Is it because of him you're worried! You can take him in as a mistress" he said out loud.

Shun Yu Xuan sighed, "I will not marry anyone, if you'll excuse me, I'll be taking my leave now" 

"Da Yin!" 

"I too will be taking my leave, goodbye" 

As they all walked away, they all glared at Wang Lei who turned away from their strong gazes.

"Are you not disappointed with my decision?" Shun Yu Xuan asked.

"Yu Xuan, I don't have enough time, I don't have the luxury to be disappointed" he said coldly.

"You can you know" 

The imperial concubine paused then looked into his eyes, soon he gently touched his face. "Yu Xuan, I don't want my memories of you to be the ones I regret, the things I didn’t do, what I never treasure. Your life is too precious for me to remember pain" 

Shun Yu Xuan looked into the eyes of his mother, though he was smiling he could still see the tears inside his eyes. "I understand" that was all Shun Yu Xuan before removing his hand and walking away.

The imperial concubine could feel it, as time went on his son was keeping a distance from him. He and his son were somewhat close but now it was not, and the more times go the more it feels like his son isn't here.

Wang Lei held the imperial concubine's hand, "Don't worry master, it will all be alright" 

"What do you mean?" 

"I have hopes" 

Late that night by his bedside the prince puked in the bucket, blood flowing from his mouth as pain traveled through his body. He stopped, he wiped the blood from his mouth breathing heavily.

His time was getting closer each day, he wanted to live. He has too much to live for because he wanted to try something, someone he wanted to embrace.

He quickly turned when he felt Wang Lei's presence enter through the door. "Wang Lei" 

He was ready to look for a shirt since the previous one had already been messed up, but before he could Wang Lei rushed to him. He backs away before he could touch his blood or sweat. 

"What are you doing?! Let me clean first at least!"

With all the going around, finally he was able to jump and push him on the bed, Shun Yu Xuan was shocked. "What have you don–" 

Wang Lei kissed him confusingly but soon he pushed him off, "No! Wang Lei" he panicked.

Wang Lei sut on the floor waiting, as the prince frets about what's going to happen. But when moments passed and nothing did he became confused. Wang Lei looked at his wrist then at him.

"It worked" 

"Huh?!"