chapter 76

—Flashback— 

*COUGH*COUGH* 

"BLEEGH" 

Shun Muchen held the bucket as Zhen Zixin puked inside, he frowned in displeasure when Zhen Zixin dragged his heavy body back over. Shun Wen Cheng held the hand of Zhen Zixin who seemed drained, it was heavy rain and though Zhen Zixin was hardly this period was an exception. His body was different from the other times due to the swelling of his abdomen, Zhen rubbed his belly smiling shyly, there was a butterfly feeling inside his tummy.

"Oh, is Little one trying to make me feel better?" 

It was only when his friend visited him and he passed out did he learn of the fact that he was carrying Song Jian's child, he was already entering his second trimester during this time and he, the barrier, had no idea the little pumpkin was staying in there. Shun Wen Cheng even mocked that the baby was staying quiet until Song Jian could leave because he too didn't trust him. So when he left the baby decided to celebrate for not being abused and bullied by the two noisy adults.

Zhen Zixin felt embarrassed, he tried to be quiet as he could during the love making with Song Jian but even then Shun Wen Cheng ear still manages to hear the unheard. He felt defeated. But above all this he was happy to know that their child will be brought to this world now it was the rainy seasons and he was late in the pregnancy, the little bun was very quiet and understanding his only issues where sometimes he would stiffens when he doesn't want to sleep but after a good rub and coaxing the little one give in, other from that he just felt like a normal man with very big bar belly.

Zhen Zixin would write down all the things he experienced and wanted to tell Song Jian, he could already imagine what a good father Song Jian would be after all he is super caring and helpful towards the boys. He could teach their baby about plants and Qi while he teaches their baby martial arts. He hopes this baby is as talented as their father. But not his fragile and vulnerable heart that's a cause for trouble, having gratitude and loyalty are good qualities but put in the wrong hands will lead to suffering. 

There was a cold thought that washed over Zgen Zixin. Song Jian has a fragile nature and he can't imagine the emperor releasing him especially with his gift…… 

Zhen Zixin held his stomach as he felt a slight pain and with that pain began the birth of their.

Song Jian looked down at the floor guilty, the emperor sighed he didn't like seeing his favorite vessel like this. "How about this, I'll fulfill one request of yours after this joyous event, I am feeling generous after all" he smiled.

Song Jian looked up at him, "please don't do it" 

"Jian" 

Song Jian set aside his weapon, then slowly went on his knees then set his head on the floor with both hands. "I beg you, please don't do this…. Father" 

The emperor looked down at him, placing his frown was apparent, his displeasure was clear. 

Song Jian never asked for anything and did as he always told but this was the first time he ever asked for anything he was even willing to go down on his knees and beg and this was what came from his mouth. The emperor grit his teeth and he felt infuriated by this.

"Song Jian, do you want to see me dead?" 

Song Jian raised his head in shock, "n-no your imperial majesty h-how c-could I ever?!" 

"It's clearly what you want, in this destiny I am to die by the hands of my own son and a member of the Huangfeng clan, Zhen Zixin has made it very clear he will never serve his emperor to oppose my will which could lead to a rebellion any minute….. and you wanted to spare such a clan? It's clear you wish for my demise Song Jian." 

"N-no–" 

"THEN WHY ELSE WOULD YOU ASK FOR SUCH A THING?!!!" The emperor roared 

Song Jian froze, he thought maybe he could have both. The dream he once held towards being with Zhen Zixin is gone, he dropped on his hands facing the ground as crystal tears fell from his eyes. 

"Okay, okay, okay, okay….." 

He smiled through the tears as he convinced himself to be okay. 

"You can sit this invasion out, clearly you're questioning your loyalty at this moment" 

Three days later, they launch a private attack on the island. Fire arrows rained as the soldiers set foot on the island fighting the men, desperation, chaos and blood. 

Zhen Zixin fought despite being weak from childbirth, ultimately he was overwhelmed and captured. The emperor declared the betrayal of the Huangfeng clan and the public execution of their leader Zhen Zixin. 

It was on the day of the execution Song Jian visited him, he looked himself in the dungeon offering a dagger to him. 

"What is this?" Zhen Zixin snared at him.

"Kill me, have your revenge" he spoke 

Zhen Zixin took up the dagger then attacked and stabbed him in the shoulder without hesitation, "what you like I wouldn't dare harm you?" 

Song Jian didn't struggle and relaxed, accepting it, seeing that Zhen Zixin stepped back. "Leave" 

"Huh? But—" 

"I don't want to see your face in the afterlife, stay alive, be the emperor's little bitch I don't care. Every and any emotion I feel for you is dead. To me your face is nothing but annoying" he spoke coldly.

Song Jian didn't blame him, "is there anything you have? any last wish you have?"

Zhen Zixin laughed almost mockingly, "yeah, kill the emperor. But you can't do that after all your such a good boy" 

Song Jian didn't say anything he couldn't disagree with, Zhen Zixin then turned away as he waited for his initial death that was yet to come. Song Jian left the dungeon both not daring to turn their heads. 

A few days after the execution of his first love, he went to the burned down island. He didn't know why but he did. Looking at the desolated and once happy place Song Jian cannot help but be unhappy.

He closed his eyes tightly clutching the jade pendant only for a rock to hit him in the head, "you betrayed us!" 

He looked to the side to see a child malnourished and suffering, "D-Ding Xiang!!" 

"Don't come any closer!" 

The kid flung another stone. He was only 13. There were several burns on his body, Song Jian touched the place where the stone hit then looked at his hand to see blood. He nods, understanding the hatred. 

"Ding Xiang let me heal you" 

"So you can betray us again, never you monster!!" 

Ding Xiang flung another stone at him, he was huffing tirelessly. He hasn't eaten in days and the rest of the survivors even though it was a handful full was dying. He wanted to save them, so he dropped to the floor. "Why did you betray us, why did you do it? To the chief, to your baby?" 

Song Jian froze, "my baby?" 

Dong Xiang having nearly no energy left Dong Xiang was ready to pass out when Song Jian caught him but sadly it was already too late for the little boy. This was the guilt he had to live with, this was what it meant to follow the emperor, he knows that but he wishes it was at least a bit easier. 

Song Jian in order to walk down the path of being a loyal vassal decided he will throw away such emotions, but that is after he leaves this island of the dead. Song Jian had searched the entirety of the island and found at least 3 children. One was a boy hidden in the tree in the forest. A burned mark covered his arm and two twins, taking them off the island Song Jian gave them to a trusted couple and had one raised in the palace after being discovered.

A/n

I want you to think about this question carefully and give me an answer.

Who is Song Zixin more like his birth mother or father