«19»

Davina's pov
                 September 8, 12:00 pm.
Kayson did promise me a vacation, and it's been a week since he said that. A week since he told me he loved me. A week since he threw out every pill in sight and said "weed is enough". A week since I panicked because Willow was in tears over me, that Kayson and Xander were fighting because of me. In the past week I've resolved my addiction problem to keeping myself busy. I got a cheap tattoo gun, new boxing wraps, and new clothes to dance in. I'm determined to prove I'm over the drugs. I just hope that determination sticks around.

My family's mafia is hiding right now, since I killed their only other possible leader. It would be me and potentially Kayson next in line. I don't want that though. I want nothing to do with it. Kayson says I need to atleast call and let them know I'm off the table. As if I'd listen to him.. I'll probably call them before we go to the beach house. Or now.

"Who the hell do I call? My blood related family is dead. All there is left in that mafia are a bunch of old ass strangers that knew my dad." Kayson rolls over and groans against my legs as I sit up on the headboard. "Call your dads number. I guarantee they have his old number connected to the office phone."  I furrow my brows in question, I didn't even know that was an option. I click on that contact and call it. It immediately rings loudly on speaker, making me jump.

"Hello?" I hear a soft voice of a woman, she sounds confused. "This is Davina Falix, may I-" I'm immediately cut off by the girl on the other side of the phone, not being able to ask my question. "I'll redirect your call to someone of higher capability." I nod my head out of habit, forgetting she can't see me. Kayson's eyes burn into my skin as I focus on the call. I feel him staring hard. He's quiet, but he keeps his eyes on me as if he's waiting for me to look down at him. I won't, not until I'm off the phone.

"Davina. This is Davin. Your great uncle. I need you to answer some questions." I haven't heard from him since I was like 10 years old. I thought he was dead. I'm named after him, he was my dad's bestfriend, uncle, and the only person who took care of my dad. I feel myself get teary eyed after hearing his voice again. Wondering all of a sudden how he may be feeling. "Go ahead." I answer with a stern voice, while in reality I'm breaking down. I feel Kayson move his hand along my thigh, rubbing comforting circles on it.

"First things first. How are you feeling dear?" He asks in a soft tone, much softer than the tone he used before. I look down at Kayson's hand while I play with his fingers, keeping myself together. "I've been worse. You?" I'm holding in my emotions for dear life, I'm literally about to burst into tears. I hear a heavy side from his side of the line before he speaks again. "I'll be okay, Faye baby." My lips tighten into a thin line as I close my eyes, still holding it in. This sucks. I could've gone to him when I was living through hell. He could've done a lot for me. Fuck.

"Down to business. Would you be willing to show your face around here here in the next few months?"
"Depends when a few months is."
"December 1st."
"Yes. Why?"
"We're having a get together on the 3rd. I'd just like to see you there."
"Okay."

I breathe out a shaky breath, grabbing onto Kayson's hand as a stress relief. "Next question. Do you have a boyfriend? Significant other of any kind?" I look over at Kayson who's now sitting up resting his head back on the headboard. He looks over at me and nods quickly with a smirk. "I do." I say, still looking at Kayson. "Name?" I furrow my brows but give him Kayson's full name anyway. I hear typing on his side of the phone before I hear his voice. "Oh he works for us. Nice."

I stay silent, waiting for the question I want to avoid. I want to avoid it now because now that I know my uncle's there, it messes with my original plan. I want to say no, but I also want to make him proud. Along with my father. "Last one. How would you and Kayson feel about being the leads here ? It's asking a lot, I know. I'm getting old though, and I'd like to pass it down to family. Not strangers." I suck in a sharp breath and look at Kayson. I saw it coming. I felt it coming. Though I didn't think it'd be this hard. Kayson looks at me with a pointed look as if he's telling me to go for it.