«38»

Kayson's pov
                       July 30th, 2:00 a.m.

I finally have flown in from Michigan. I haven't said a word to Davina since she passed out on FaceTime, I figured she wouldn't be up for conversation over the phone, especially since she knows what I'm about to bring up. She knows what I saw. I saw how scared she got. I saw just how shocked she was when she saw the tears running down my face. The only reason I took this long to get here is because I didn't have the time off of work, that she's in charge of assigning. I finally just told Xander to slip in for a few of my missions, told him I'd give him the money for said missions. She's avoiding this, and if I were her, I'd probably do the same. This is not something you hide. Not from someone as important as me. Not from the one person who never wanted to see that kind of fear in her eyes. Not from the very person who may have been the reason for such a thing like this.

I'm at her house now, early or late, whatever she may call it. She's got a body guard on each side of the fence, but I know these men personally. They know me and her, they know our old title. So they let me in with a quick nod and a 'goodnight'. I walk up her driveway, my palms getting sweaty and clammy the further I get to her door. Though, I know that even if she doesn't want me here right now, her dad will. All he wants is for me to be here with her. All he wants is for us to be together. He hates that his 'drama' was the reason we split in the first place. I told him he was ridiculous and changed the subject at that point, but my point still stands. I finally get to the door and knock, seeing the doorbell after I've already done it. I hear quick, loud movements from inside. As if someone's been caught off guard. Then I see the camera in the upper corner of her porch. I figure she'd be looking at it by now, so I wink and give her a wave.

Then the door opens. There she is. Her petite body, looking just as good as she did the last time I saw her. She looks up at me with a scared look, but she still smiles. Smiles so big that it's obvious she's missed me more than she wanted me away. "I thought you weren't supposed to be here for another month?" She opens the door a little, a silent offer to let me in. I walk in, setting my things by the door, closing it, and then looking back up at her. "Decided to come early. We've got some things to talk about." I look down at her stomach. Insinuating that I haven't forgotten. She bites her lip and stays silent for a while before turning around and telling me to follow her. "Okay. Let's do that in my room. My dad still lives with me.. and I've got no goddamn pants on." I laugh at her embarrassment as I lock the door, following her into her room, her oversized T-shirt falling down to her knees.

We finally get to her room, closing the door as we do. I watch as she sits down on the edge of her bed, wrapping her arms tightly around herself. I watch her closely, keeping an eye on her face to see if her expression changes. I walk to her, slowly, going down to my knees once I'm right in front of her. "Show me the cuts that I saw. Show me the cuts you said weren't there, love. Lie to me and tell me they aren't there again." I watch her jaw tighten and her eyes go wide, but I don't miss the flash of relief pass through her expression. "Don't get mad, Kayson. Please." She looks up at me, pleading me with her beautiful, bright eyes. I nod slowly, my eyes slightly narrowing as she lifts her shirt up. Then I see it. I see more than that, actually. I rub my fingers across the cuts, the scars, the broken skin she told me wasn't there. It only takes me a few seconds to finally see what she was pleading me not to get mad about. "Davina.." I say her name quietly, pulling my hand away as I do.

I see it. I see what she's been hiding. I see what she's been so scared to tell me. I see what she was avoiding. I finally get it. Because she's pregnant. My eyes go wide and I stand up, walking backward, until my back hits the wall. My jaw has dropped and my hands have reached my hair. "Who's-" I try to say, my voice cracking as I do. "When-" My eyes go even wider than I thought possible. "When did this happen, Davina? When the fuck did this happen?" I stand there in shock, looking at the little bump with the shirt still lifted up. She stands up, just barely staying on her feet when she does. Her legs tremble from the reaction I'm having. Her hands shake and her mouth forms into a soft smile. Real or not, it's a beautiful smile that I've missed. I've missed it so much. "It happened in the dressing room, Kayson." She smiles even bigger, looking down at her stomach, adoring the new being inside of her.