Chapter 1

Jai's POV

"And that's when I laid eyes on her. Standing in the balcony next to the water fountain." Dad said staring deeply into my Mom's eyes. "My wolf instincts went wild and I knew then and there that she was made for me. Only me"

Mom blushed delicately at the last part. Her smile which was reticent at first, now shone brilliantly. She was a graceful woman. Dad took her hand in his, never breaking eye contact and kissed it. These are my parents for you. Very much Morticia and Gomez Addams.

"And here we are celebrating 25 years of being Mates." He announced.

My brother and I gave them an enthusiastic applause. We'd heard this story a million times, but the man was tipsy and celebrating 25 years of being in love. So we let him have his moment.

"And one day you'll find your mates and fall in love yourselves." Mom said.

A sense of despair slowly crept up to my heart. I let it sink in completely.

Way to cast a pall on such a happy occasion.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with love. Or mates. But you see I'm an Omega.

Omegas are rare male werewolves who are less truculent and more empathetic. We are sensitive to other people's feelings and can de-escalate situations. We can also beget children.

Werewolf world doesn't care about that. All they see are pathetic male wolves who can't fight and are just baby-producing machines. "Pansies on some Kumbaya shit" I'd heard a neighbour call us. He didn't know I was one. Many don't even see us worthy of being called werewolves because we lack a violent streak.

Since they don't like us, they try to hurt us. Through words, fists, microaggressions, punishments and sometimes very explicit actions to signal our subservient status. Not all are like this, but there's definitely an alarming number of bigots.

Another fun interesting tit-bit about mates is that Omegas are usually mated to Alphas by the Moon Goddess.

That's where the problem lies.

An Alpha would make my life a living hell. They'd probably be controlling, forceful, proud and unrelenting. Alphas are naturally domineering, couple that with being mated to the perceived weaklings of the werewolf world, and you get an immensely unbalanced power dynamic. Often, Omega-Alpha relations were domestically abusive but society doesn't really acknowledge that because Alphas can do no wrong.

But I'm not going to live under someone's thumb. No matter what the world expects from me, I'm not gonna let my wolf get hurt. I'll try to talk to my mate. I think they'll understand, Moon Goddess wouldn't pair me up with someone who could hurt me. And then mates are supposed to love each other. But then again people are responsible for their own actions...

"Ouch!" I felt a sudden jolt of pain in my leg where my brother had just kicked me under the table. He glared at me as if to say "snap out of it".

"Jai! I asked you if you've any plans for your birthday?" Rishi asked.

"Nothing special. I'm going to the Aquarium with Chanyeol."

"The Aquarium? You're about to turn 16 why not throw a party?" He rolled his eyes.

Yeah, easy for him to say. People always showed up in droves to his parties. He was an tall handsome Alpha with a sharp jaw, smooth dark skin and thick black hair. He radiated power and was well respected amongst his vast circle of friends. Meanwhile, I barely had enough friends to fill our dining table. And not for a lack of trying.

But I didn't mind. I had Chanyeol and he was enough. In fact this trip was his idea. He knew me too well.

"Because they're opening a new Penguin exhibit where you get to pet and feed them. Plus I get to speak to Marine Biologists in their new lab. I'm looking forward to it" I spoke with bits of food in my mouth.

"Wait...That's actually really cool though?" Rishi narrowed his eyes in confusion. Idk why he looked surprised? I only do cool things.

"Well, make sure to bring Chanyeol to dinner" said Mom.

"Oh he's coming. Sometimes I think dad's food and the sweaters you knit him are the only reason he's friends with me"

Everybody laughed heartily.

16th Birthday in 3 weeks. When I'll find my mate. My life could change forever. Better or for worse we'll have to see.

"I'm sorry I made you an Omega" It was Nyx my wolf, speaking to me mentally. He must've sensed my anguish

"I'm not ashamed of myself or you. I'll never let us get hurt" I replied. Letting him feel some of my warmth.

"No matter what"