Chapter 2

Jai's POV

"JAI BETA COME DOWNSTAIRS ROHIT UNCLE AND FAMILY ARE HERE!!" My mom yelled from the dining room.

I took a deep breath to compose myself. Rohit Uncle and Sheila aunty were the most insufferable wolves I have ever met in my entire life. The kind of harrowing people who, on sensing weakness in someone would proceed to dig into their wounds with words alone. You'd think they'd focus this energy towards handling their own family crises but no, they will drop the proverbial hammer on our heads only.

I pretended to have my shit together as I strutted confidently down the stairs and smiled politely at them.

"Namaste Uncle Ji, Aunty ji...and..." my voice trailed as I looked towards the third creature with them. An absolute HUNK that I couldn't wait to sink my fingers and other appendages into. My mouth was OPEN.

"Sameer. Nice to meet you" he spoke in a voice that was sultry but proper. He was definitely taller than my 5'11" with a seriously athletic bod and wheatish skin taut over an angular face. His hair was brown and styled in a crew cut. His body was sculpted out of a big block of SEXY.

He smiled in a knowing way as our hands met in a handshake. A hot alpha? Yum. The way his gaze kept slipping from my eyes to my chest and eventually to my hips you'd think I was covered in lube.

"Stop thinking about lube right now. These are skinny jeans and you don't want them to see your double O Sevens" Nyx warned.

"Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Maybe we'd get some OctoBussy" I damn near giggled out loud.

Sameer politely led me to a chair that was empty and pulled it out for me. In my own home. Cheeky.

I sat down thanking him and brushing my fingers on his forearm that was planted firmly on the head of the chair. He smiled brightly and sat down next to me.

"Ahem!" Sheila aunty cleared her throat. I imagine she has a lot of cobwebs to clean in her throat since it probably hasn't been used in so long. "This is our younger son Sameer. He's moved here from a private school in Europe and he'll be joining Norwood High school. So we were hoping you could show him around"

My nose scrunched at this new information. Firstly, I didn't know they had two sons? I thought that egg-faced Noddy-the-Clown looking Ojas was their only son? Secondly, this chiselled cinnamon-ey goodness is the fruit of their loins? Nah the Math ain't Mathing.

But confusion was quickly replaced by delight since I get to show him around. "Ofcourse it'll be my pleasure! Are you a sophomore?"

"A senior actually." He said it matter of factly, raising an eyebrow. He then looked straight into my eye, "I'll do my best to make our friendship as pleasurable for you as I can" He had the most dangerous smile plastered on his handsome face.

Both sets of parents turned their heads at his unusual response but he didn't lose my gaze for a millisecond. Daring me to look away. I eventually did and blushed, he looked smug in his victory as he massaged his bicep.

Everyone saw that. He's reckless.

And I wish he'd wreck me.

Sensing tension, Rishi steered conversation into other channels. "Uncle I heard Ojas has his mating ceremony soon? You must be so proud"

"Yes yes! We're a proud family of alphas and Ojas just started as an investment banker in New York. He found his mate in a fundraising meeting actually. She's an entrepreneur." He beamed. "But why tempt fate by bragging? That's why I don't tell anyone. We're just humble and thankful that our kids are normal. Because some people can't even say as much."

Here we go

"Jai beta how are you doing? Are you able to handle the pains of your heat? It must be hard for you, given your constitution. I hope your parents let you miss school and war training when the pain gets unbearable, its not like you'll be going and fighting scary rogues anyway" Sheila Aunty punctuated that scantily veiled insult with her hollow laugh.

I sank into my seat, the piece of Aloo Parantha in my hand fell unceremoniously onto my plate and my head hung down. My parents shifted uncomfortably in their seats while Rishi stared daggers their way. He was about to jump them any moment, the only thing holding him back was propriety.

"Sheila let it be. Stop dragging women's matters into morning conversations. Now you've made him lose his appetite" Rohit Uncle added, malice dripping from every word but somehow feigning a caring tone. "It's good to watch what you eat, all you have to do is look good for your alpha mate after all." He looked directly at me.

My mom was about to say something but then...

BAAM!

It was Sameer. He banged his hands on the table with an air of finality and rose from his seat with his head to the ground. I swear he had a murderous look in his eyes but I couldn't properly see. When he raised his head to face us he was smiling so hard that one could tell it was fake. With the most saccharine voice he said,

"Mom Dad I think we've talked enough. We wanted to give them the invite to the wedding, so let's do that. Us kids have school."

He looked at me with concern in his eyes. I was nearly on the brink of tears but I couldn't cry. Not when he looked so hopeful that I could overcome it. I picked up my food and chewed it. Anything to take my mind off the stinging tears building in my eyes.

"Sadly we will not be attending. We're way too busy at the hospital and boys have school" My dad said with as much of an regretful tone as he could muster.

"Aww we'll miss you at the wedding"

"Don't worry we'll come to the next one. You know what they say, third times the charm!" Mom got that one in, very chirpily.

...Silence....utter and uncomfortable silence....

Sameer's eyes went wide with shock as he registered the insult to his brother.

Then he did something unexpected. He burst out laughing. Not in the forced way but like he finds this to be the most hysterical joke ever. His parents were LIVID but he didn't stop, he found them being shut up hilarious apparently. Mom looked on approvingly.

"On that note." Rishi said "let's head over to school" grabbing me from the table and dragging me outside. Sameer followed us soon enough. I'll