Chapter 51

Jai' POV

I woke up beside a blissfully slumbering mate, who I noticed for the first time was a snorer. I don't think I've ever heard him snore. It was a nice soft hum which made me feel fuzzy on the inside.

My brain is killing me.

It's been foggy in the upstairs unit since last night, not helped in the least by the reunion with Shane. Goddess, he really is a waste of space isn't he just?

Well, WAS.

Darius had hollowed him out entirely, a sight so gruesome that it made me puke right on the spot. All his organs, cartilage, bones even thrown around crudely like he exploded all over the place. His blood and other bodily fluids smelt so foul, like a pipeline of sewage mixed with vomit.

Speaking of vomit.

I rushed to my bathroom and hurled out my guts. I was phasing in and out of consciousness yet I was conscious enough to feel immense discomfort. I was sweating and heaving like my auntie's Chihuahua after brisk walk. I must've caught some stupid bug from Shane who perpetually smelt like rotting faeces.

I pulled myself together somehow and went downstairs, only to bump into mom who was cooking up a storm. The nervousness on her face belied that it was more of an anxiety relieving exercise.

Man this is going to be a headache to explain.

I took a deep breath and began,

"Mom don't be alarmed but..."

"What?" She turned around surprised to see me in the kitchen. "Oh good you're up! Check this Poha (Indian breakfast dish) for me will you?"

She fed me only a spoonful but for the first time in my life I didn't appreciate the spicy tangy taste of a morning Poha. It simply wasn't sitting down but I forcefully made it go down my oesophagus.

"It's good Mom. Listen..."

"Is it anything urgent Jai? Cause I have a million things to do in the house and Rishi is coming home today and you're here with your boytoy and I have no time only."

My mom was such an expert at pretending to be busy to avoid conversations she doesn't want to have. Like her commitment to feigning disinterest needs to be studied. I'm glad she isn't snooping for once, cause I'm in no position to answer intrusive questions. Still, It's uncharacteristic of her to be this calm.

But why mess up a good thing?

Cause I hate myself :)))

"Really? You don't even want to know about the blood?" I enquired irked by her lack of concern.

"Was it yours?"

"No."

"Then it's fine only. Why don't you call your boytoy downstairs and both of you can have breakfast. How does that sound?" She said with an inviting smile, handing me two bowls of hot Poha.

Now this makes no sense.

I brought home a random Alpha last night, no explanation took him up to my room and emerged in the morning with a tired look on my face. And she's not interested?

The same woman who threw an intervention for me when I merely suggested the idea of being on Team Jacob when we watched Twilight: New Moon?

"Darius! there you are! How nice of you to join us. Please sit down." She said gesturing to the empty chair on the dining table.