Chapter 26

Jai's POV

The castle we stood in front of, which supposedly housed the wolf king was humongous. It had large towers, winding pathways, beautiful gardens, formidable defenses, widen clearing houses and a mighty river that rumbled below the floor we were standing on, and cascaded down the cliff on which the fortress stood. It's grandeur and sheer size was intimidating.

How the hell were we able to stand a chance against someone who lives here?

We were greeted by a familiar face at the main drawbridge. Well...familiar to me anyway.

"Greetings your Excellencies. My name is Sebastian, Beta to the True King of Werewolves Dominic Serrano Varela." He said with a polite bow to my father and a small nod acknowledging my brother and I.

Sebastian was of average height with blond hair tied in a ponytail and a muscular frame. His face was handsome with a button nose and freckles which I had never noticed before. His face was heart shaped and radiated a calm orderly aura. His eyes were green, calculating but mischievous. He had a reputation for playing with his victims before ending them, making them chase, beg, chopping off body parts. He was one of the two wolves we had flee on sight orders for our soldiers, the other being Dominic.

Not gonna lie it was weird seeing him like this, dressed up in a formal suit with his military badges decorating his shirt, and a red sash running from his left shoulder to the right hip. He looked very sharp. He came closer and sniffed me to confirm that I was the masked warrior.

"So it is you the legendary masked warrior. Forgive me for my candour but you are very good looking" he said looking at me from head to toe.

"Uhh thanks? You don't look so bad yourself" I replied shifting nervously in his gaze.

I don't trust him. Nyx growled.

Yeah that is just kinda Sebastian's vibe. He loves putting people on edge.

"King Dominic is waiting for you, if you could proceed this way please" he politely said gesturing towards a massive set of medieval doors which opened into a gothic style hall. Every step that we took reverberated across the room but the guards standing in alert positions didn't even flinch, just stared at us emotionless.

Then it hit me. All at once.

The Smokey woody smell. The smell of a volcano just on the verge of eruption. The smell of the fiery wings of death but also of the cackling of bonfire at the hearth. The entire room was choke full of this smell that was making me weak in the knees, compelling me to submit. To give into the flames and let myself be engulfed in it. The scent evoked feeling of my childhood in my grandparents home in India, where they used to have Havans (an altar to pray to fire gods) lit up and how purifying and warm they felt. Like they were rooting me down to this earth, clasping to me with such force that it practically gave me a physical form.

I kept taking in deep breaths of the entire room trying to catch as much aroma as I can, while placing a hand on my chest putting it inside my shirt. I wanted to feel my heart beating at the moment which felt alive and shook with vigour.

Without thinking I went towards where the scent was guiding me and I felt steps, which I climbed.

One...two....three........

27...28....29...30

.....56....57....58.

And finally I stopped. And I as I opened my eyes I was no longer next to my father and brother near the entrance but at the dais of the throne and infront of me was sitting who I assumed was King Dominic Varela.

He had raven black hair cut short but not so short that it lost its curls. His face was chiselled with high cheekbones and a sharp nose which carried a scar across it. His eyes were pitch black, deeply set but were currently glaring at me with his brow being furrowed. Even though he looked like he was angry his heart beat was stable. The crown sat obliquely on his head because he was sitting with one leg on the throne and letting the other rest carelessly on it. His thick muscly arms culminated in gorgeously delicate fingers, one of which was carrying the royal signet ring. His skin was paler than mine but still bronze, and stretched tightly overt his sinewy body. His lips had the most pronounced Cupid's brow I had seen but he had a fresh scar across his lip.

Dominic was handsome. Very handsome indeed. Singularly the hottest man on the planet actually.

He still looked at me with fierce eyes with a gaze that was burning me up.

I won't be mad if he's our mate Nyx are you sure?

I'm su...re. He's not our mate. He's....not. Nyx spat out in pain.

Are you ok?

Yes. Mhm. Nyx said before buckling down in pain. This has been happening ever since the bit, he keeps having spells of pain that I don't know what to do with.

Maybe being this close to the man we once considered an enemy is causing Nyx pain?

I took a step back but before I could go further, I felt a large hand rest directly on my pup pouch pushing me back onto a hard body that had somehow materialised behind me. I could feel the warmth from the muscly chest that I knocked my head against. Infront of my chin however was a blade..a black obsidian knife ready to slash my throat I gulped as I felt the Dominic's hand steer ever so close to my neck as I found myself paralysed and caged between his hands and his body.

I cannot lift my arms even if I want to.

This is how it ends then.

One swift stroke of the blade.

I closed my eyes anticipating the worst as I heard the blade swiftly moving infront of my chest. I exhaled the breath that I was holding only to find my throat completely intact, without even a scratch.

What did lie in tatters though was my shirt which was cleanly cut diagonally at the collar causing it to snap into two. The coldness of the room was rushing blood to my nipples. I blushed knowing I was probably red there at the moment.

Dominic grabbed my neck and whispered in my ear,

"Try to hide my mark again and I'll mark every inch of you as mine."