Chapter 16

Jai's POV

"I've prescribed some painkillers but you should be fine by the end of the week. Peter was clearly intent on killing you these injuries are serious." Dad spoke to Chanyeol with while wrapping the bandage around his shoulder blade.

My face was a brick at this point as I twirled my fingers around my jacket string that I was wearing borrowed from my dad. My head was hung in shame.

"Not that he could ever do that." Chanyeol said smiling at me, attempting to alleviate my sadness.

"There's nothing to laugh at Chanyeol, the poor boy is in hospice and will stay there for a whole month with the injuries he has" Dad said in a stern tone that unnerved Chanyeol.

"Of course Mr. Raj...I only meant..."

"I know what you meant to do son. But I suggest you focus on getting your drugs and going back home" My dad snapped, with a warning look on his face.

"Yes sir." Chanyeol gulped nervously and shot me an apologetic look. He grabbed his prescription and made his way out.

Dad didn't even turn to look at me as he went to his desk and sat behind it. He eventually looked at me while assuming the parent position of resting his chin on his hand and breathed in hard.

Oh he's pissed.

"Want to explain yourself?"

"No sir"

Its critical in this moment to call him sir. He's not my dad, he's my army superior.

"So you have nothing to say for yourself?"

"Just profound and unrelenting apology from the depths of my heart sir."

His jaw tensed and he looked at me with a furious look on his face.

"Jai. Do you think this is a joke? Do you even know what could have happened if Peter or Miranda or Chanyeol had managed to mark you?"

"They didn't mark me though"

"So you're going to keep trying your luck till it runs out? Jai if you get marked, we can't do anything to save you. By law, you'll belong to whoever marked you. Omegas don't have a lot of freedom in out society, just because your Mom and I don't keep you locked away in a room doesn't mean you'll get the same treatment everywhere."

I hung my head down as the words seeped into me. Dad's anger was palpable and putting me on edge.

"I gave you the book as a guide to understand and unlock your potential as an Omega and also learn how to navigate society, but you use it to learn the ONE lesson in it about sex? I didn't expect you to be such a teenage cliché Jai, I thought you could do better"

Silence

"LOOK AT ME WHEN I AM TALKING TO YOU YOUNG MAN"

I looked up at him blinking away the tears in my eyes. My eyes were swollen from the constant crying at this point but the tear ducts were working overtime.

"No. Don't cry right now. Compose yourself. I'm not done yet." Dad spoke in a voice laced with anger. I nodded and wiped my eyes and dug my nail in my palms.

"Jai your mom and I love you very much but we live in a world where you can be snatched from us and we'll be helpless to stop it. It terrifies me everyday son. I want you to live as normal a life as possible but if you choose to be reckless I am not above locking you in the house with a collar on your neck."

"DAD WHA-.."

"I don't want that either but you could've REALLY gotten hurt tonight and because everyone keeps coddling you, so afraid to hurt your feelings they don't hold you accountable for your actions. You not only endangered yourself but Miranda, Peter and Chanyeol. All because of your selfishness"

I wanted to protest and point out how this is all so unfair, but he was right. I shouldn't have projected when I barely know how to control it. But still Dad was going way overboard with his threats, it was degrading to even suggest that.

"As a punishment, you are grounded for the next 3 weeks. You'll travel to and from school with Rishi and he'll drive you to the Lab as well. I will speak to Dr. Kidjo to make sure you don't violate any of these rules."

I nodded meekly. It was a bit harsh but still a much better alternative to being locked up. I didn't want to push it further.

"Do not tell your mother about this. She worries about you anyway this would only cause her discomfort. Besides that you're free to leave. I've called Rishi to pick you up. For all they know you just fell in the lake" Dad said completely ignoring me and driving his attention to the bunch of X-rays on the light monitor on the wall.

I gathered my stuff and got up to leave. As I reached the door I turned around to look at my dad. He didn't even spare me a second glance. I know I've lost his trust, something I really cherished because he never stopped me from doing anything. Whatever he did put his foot down on, I obeyed. He said no to such few things that I took them very seriously. I majorly messed up.

"I'm sorry dad"

"Go home Jai. Rishi is waiting."