Chapter 43

Dominic's POV

I was woken up around 7 a.m. by the sunlight piercing through the balcony. I put an eye mask on the still sleeping Nyx, to not disturb his sleep. I put on a pair of silk pyjamas and shirt and looked at myself in the mirror.

He will be up soon. I should get some stuff done before that.

Carefully I got up from the bed and went down to the kitchen. I instructed the cook to make a breakfast spread for Jai. I couldn't sit around and wait for her to complete so I tried to help her by scrambling eggs and burning some toast. She giggled the entire time while working her way around the kitchen.

Is she laughing at me?

Instead of feeling anger, I felt shy. I wanted to just dig a hole in the ground and sink into it. Why is she looking at me like I'm a child?

After putting my burnt toast and semi-cooked eggs near the sink for her to throw in the trash, I rushed out into the garden. I walked over to the bush of Jasmines and collected a few in my palms. They smelt fresh and wonderful.

But nothing like Jai.

Jai is more lively. Even a bit spicy.

Last night was a bit of a breakthrough with my mate problem. Not only did Nyx let me take care of him but he also obeyed, perhaps for the first time in his life. Every touch, every stroke, every bite, every breath felt in sync and it was glorious. I puffed my chest in pride that my Omega was still sleeping off our nightly activities.

Still, hesitations and misunderstandings remain. I have a lot to say to him and I suppose the same can be said for him. He is scared of Darius and I don't blame him. I just hope he doesn't hold that against me.

Speaking of Darius, he hadn't disturbed me even once since last night. I don't know how to deal with this or if this was permanent but it was strange that Nyx was scared of his own mate. Mates are supposed to be spiritually linked to each other, so this behaviour was quite an anomaly.

I collected a bunch of winter roses from the garden and headed back to my room, hoping the cook would've taken a tray upto Nyx by now. I opened the door only to find Nyx sitting alone on the bed with his head in his hands. Tears rolled down his cheeks and I could hear his painful sobs.

"Nyx? What happened?"

"Where...did...you....go?" He spoke out a broken sentence punctuating each break with a crying hiccup. Even his goddamn crying was cute, but it was clawing at my conscience. It was the most uneasy feeling in the world, hearing him cry.

I sat on the bed with my back to the headboard, allowing him to approach me. He crawled upto me and nestled right between my legs placing his little head on my chest. He snuggled next to my body and looked up at me with his beautiful pure white eyes still drenched in tears. They scrutinised my face for hints of displeasure. No doubt he thought I had abandoned him. I mentally kicked myself for ever leaving the room.

I had heard Omegas get extremely jealous and sensitive during heats but seeing it up close, no amount of information could have prepared for the heartbreaking expression on his face. His lips trembled in fear, his brow looked unsure and his cheeks puffed red with all the crying. He looked broken, shattered even. No one would've believed that this worried, hapless little Omega was the proud and ferocious Masked Warrior. I'd always admired Jai's confidence and self-assuredness, so this change was extremely unsettling.

I held his head between my palms and looked directly at him when I spoke.

"I will never abandon you my love. Never."