Chapter 15

Omegan population has fizzled out in recent times due to the savagery of the dark ages in wolf history. A Succession crisis in the werewolf royal line and political infighting within the elder council plunged the wereworld into chaos. Alpha packleaders around the world in the absence of a higher authority started implementing their own will with impunity. Omegas were kidnapped from their pack and forced into mating to satiate demonic alphas. Most gruesome kidnapping was in Italy where an Omegas upper body was found in a state of inexpressible distress full of bites and marked showing signs of forced copulation but the lower half of the body was never found. Such incidences caused the imposition of new rules against Omegas, including restricting their mobility and reproductive rights. Where earlier Omegas could access abortion they no longer could, as mates wanted to get as many pups as they could before the Omega fell prey to kidnappers. Omegas also had to keep track of their fertility windows and forced to wear neck collars to prevent them from being marked even if captured. This period also saw the publishing of controversial and unscientific pamphlets espousing a gender hierarchy that flowed from Alphas to Omegas. Most notorious being "Omega Commandments" a 200 page document delineating the expectations and treatments of Omega wolves. It supported tying them up in closed rooms where they couldn't be reached by no one but their Alpha, marrying them off early, preventing access to education or independence to them and perhaps the most egregious one that disobedient Omegas be given severe punishments for the minutest of transgressions. Largely written by Alphas, it freed Alphas from all accountability for their barbaric actions but put the blame squarely on Omegas and their animalistic urges. Werewolves are as much slaves to their nature as their will is weak. Weaker the will more feral the wolf.  So werewolves can control their behaviour but choose not to. Omega life expectancy dropped rapidly due to lack of nutrition or care afforded to them as they were seen of little value than being concubines. From comprising one-third of a pack they came down to less than 1%.

Despite the installation of a new Wolf King, irreparable damage had been done to wolf culture across the globe which refused to shed off the vicious practices it had picked up. It was silently endorsed by the Monarchy which did little to prevent it from being codified into morality. Ill-treatment of Omegas was wholly ignored and authorities largely engaged in victim blaming and slut-shaming them for actions committed by Alphas/Betas. Soon it became disreputable for an Alpha to beget an Omega child, who were seen as a disgrace to the wolf kind. Omega infanticide spread through the community like wildfire. Cruel irony being that just centuries prior they had denied the right to abort to Omegas, under the guise of 'protecting the pups' but now had no problem doing exactly what they campaigned against.

Omegas all but disappeared from the world. Parents who begot Omega children and wanted to keep them had to resort to being rogues and leave their pack behind. This was another blow to the Omegas image which was then irrevocably intertwined with rogues who are so unfairly hated in the wolf world. This confluence of bigotry, hatred, facade of propriety and complete lack of accountability created the perfect tempest eradicating Omegas from the world.

At the time of writing this book only 36 recorded Omegas remain according state records but the number maybe even lower as most of them are rogues who live precarious and dangerous lives. Although retrospective movements aimed at getting Omegas right exist, the lack of a large enough stakeholder base allows conservatives to deem their demands as vapid. Will there come a renaissance for Omegas? This author sadly believes there will not.

__________________________________

Jai's POV

I could feel the panic rise as my arms and feet started flapping around like a dying chicken. My nose burned from all the water I had inhaled.  I tried moving around and finally reach the surface.