Birthday (2)

The day of Jai's Birthday

Jai's POV

GET UP GET UP GET UP GET UP

The way Nyx was jumping wild in my brain was probably mushing it into goo. Like how you mush grape fruit in a vineyard. We did that once when went on a holiday to Napa valley. Seems like Karma that I be mushed for mushing the grapes.

Please calm down Nyx it's like 8 am.

GET UP AND OUT OF BED. Nyx said with such force that my body leapt off the bed and fell with a thud. I sighed knowing there is no calming him down today, so I am a hostage who needs to give in to his every whim and fancy.

If you stop jumping I will get ready in 20 min.

Promise?

Yes.

He obliged and I could finally feel some mental clarity. I brushed my teeth, showered skincared and put on my version of Cam'ron's pink fur look with the pink flip phone. I've always loved it and recently came by the exact same jacket thanks to my mom's colleague at Goldman Sachs. She knew some connections in the tailoring firm for BabyPhat so I was able to nick it. BabyPhat is making a comeback which I am so excited for.

Good enough for you Nyx?

Outdone yourself. Bravo.

Why thank you kind sir.

I stepped out of my room and ran downstairs. My parents were already at work and Rishi was at the gym so I was the only one in the house. I locked it and took the bus to the Aquarium. Dad had rescinded on the promise of getting me a car since the accident but he seems to have forgiven me for it which is more than what I wanted.

Nyx wouldn't quiet down the entire way there. Constantly jumping around wagging it's tail. His fur was extra soft and shiny, and energy coursed through him that felt lively. I had heard that in the mating age, wolves develop a greater sense of smell & physical attributes as 16 years of age unlocked a core of energy in them that surges through. Seeing it unfold in real time was crazy. I had never thought of Nyx as a super powerful magical creature but in the moment, he was shrouded in so much force that the air around me was electric.

I finally got to the aquarium and spotted Chanyeol excitedly waving at me. He had on a blue jumper over blue denim and white shoes.

"Happy birthday OJ" he said engulfing me in a hug and kissing my cheek. We stood in that position for a bit as he sighed taking in my scent and purred in contentment.

"Umm Channie, you need to let go my friend"

"Right ofcourse. That would be inappropriate"

He said with the saddest puppy dog look on his face. He brought up his hands to the lining of my fur jacket and fixing it a bit said "you look really good"

"Thanks"

He shook his head and tried changing the topic

"Anyway this is your birthday gift. A meeting with the Penguins. I specifically scheduled things so that you can feed them as well. And Dr. Maerz is here to answer your questions about becoming a marine biologist, I know how badly you wanted to." He said flashing his dimpled smiles and cheery disposition. One thing about Channie is he will dazzle you with his smile if things get awkward and that smile alone will melt all awkwardness away.

"Aww this is amazing. Thank you so much Channie. Sameer just texted he's on his way here as well. So you two can finally meet!"

"Oh?....That's great" He sounded surprised.

"Are you ok? I thought it was ok for me to invite him?"

"Yeah ofcourse. Why wouldn't it be? It's totally fine" Channie said rubbing the back of his neck his eyes downcast at his shoes. Something tells me he wasn't happy to see that.

Channie is sad. Why? Nyx said in a voice choking back tears.

I sighed and grabbed Chanyeol's hand and pointed it to the Penguin exhibit.

"ONWARDS WE GO!" I declared earning a chuckle from the Alpha boy.

Suddenly I heard a familiar voice call out to me from behind. A voice that could get me giddy and comforted at the same time. The voice of my soon to be mate. My Sameer.

I turned around to look at him. One look at him and I was feeling butterflies in my stomach erupt my skin was heating up and I am sure I was blushing. Although Nyx remained silent (probably too stunned to speak) I was smiling from ear to ear. He was wearing a black compression t-shirt with black jeans and sneakers. It was goes without saying he looked slick inducing hot.

"Hey Jai..." he repeated himself but stopped mid sentence as his nose twitched as he caught a scent. His brow furrowed as if he had never smelled this before. But then he took it in with a deep sigh, causing his eyes to turn yellow.

My new powerful scent is affecting him differently.

Jai. He's not our mate. Nyx said in a weak but calm voice.

What are you talking about? I feel such a pull towards him. It makes me happy just looking at him.

That's cause you like him.

Well his Alpha is also out. And I'm not even projecting right now so how do you explain that?

Look beside you.

I turned my head to find Chanyeol breathing deeply with his hand that was growing increasingly hot. He dropped my hand like it was a hot piece of coal, while his eyes were still closed. When he oepned them they were looking straight at Sameer and shone vibrant gold with his jaw tightening.

Soon the realisation of what had happened dawned on me. And sadness started overtaking me.

I'm so sorry. Nyx consoled me.

I don't think sorry could even begin to cover what had happened. Not only was Sameer not my mate like I had dreamed.

But Sameer was mated to my best friend Chanyeol.