Chapter 24

Jai's POV

I have become a born again believer in the Moongoddess. I am now a devout follower, performing rituals to the tee because OH MY GOD DID SHE PROVE SHE IS REAL.

The day I cussed her out for not mating me with Sameer she decides to plunge the werewolf world into war. I've never said one bad word about her since.

After my little fiasco in Dr. Kidjo's office I woke up in my home with my mom by my bedside. She consoled me as I cried some more and then promised that I'll never have to go to an Alpha's place against my will (Boy did this come to bite me in the ass). That she will fight him with her bare hands.

"Where's dad?"

"He was called by the Alpha, there might be a military conflict soon so they're trying to be prepared" she said calm and collected tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

I just sighed and kept my head in her lap, playing with my fingers as she softly combed my hair.

"Sameer and Chanyeol came by to see you" she hesitatingly said wanting to test the reception it would get. I didn't respond.

"They told me what happened. I'm so sorry Jai."

"I hate them so much" I grunted in anger. Sameer broke my heart. I wish I had never met him. The only two people apart from my family who I cared about decide to date each other, when I was already dating one of them. Yeah that's gonna be messy.

But it's not like I can blame Sameer it's the Goddess' fault not his. And Chanyeol didn't do anything at all so I wasn't mad at him. It was illogical to hold grudges.

A broken heart is anything but logical. Nyx said.

I didn't respond. I was being kind of a bitch to him after all that had happened. I wasn't mad at him anymore but I didn't know how to apologise as well so we we're going with him speaking to me and me giving him radio silence.

"I just don't wanna see them now"

"That's ok. You can see them whenever you're ready"

"Where's Dada (the Hindi word for older brother)?"

"He's at the cantonment signing up for the army."

"Maa I don't want to talk to anyone ever again. I just wanna live with you and take care of you when you're old then die when you die" I said hugging my mom closer while tears dropped from my eyes.

"The future scares me Maa" I spoke in between sobs.

"It scares everyone my moon. Nobody knows what will happen. But I'm telling you, your future will be happy. I'm taking the guarantee ok? Do you trust me?"

I nodded.

"Then stop worrying about this my sweet child I'll never let anything happen to you"

As much as my mom was trying to console me and comfort me , I could sense that there was fear and hesitation in her words. And she was right to feel scared, none of us had could have expected the war to actually be this brutal.

Rishi had honoured himself by rising up the ranks of warriors to leading his own regiment at only 24 years of age. While everyone else saw the decorations and honours bestowed upon him by the Alpha, very few know that he had taken up drinking to deal with the stress of the war. Losing comrades everyday on the field, watching them butchered to pieces was gravely affecting his mental health. We tried many times to get him to see a specialist he refused citing some army work he had to do. Whenever he walked into a room a cloud of sadness hung heavy on his shoulders.

Chanyeol, Sameer and I had since made up. Sameer's gift to me was a console for Earthbound because he knew how much I liked it. I wanted to ice them out a little bit but on the third day of my recovery from the lab fiasco Chanyeol walked into my room breaking down in tears and begged for forgiveness. Seeing the misery I was putting my best friend through made me feel so bad, it wasn't his fault how things turned out. I quickly forgave him but the three of us kind of drifted apart. It was hard for me to be around Sameer when he was all over Chanyeol (which was all the time) so I made excuses to make myself scarce. Then the war intensified and no one had time to hang out.

Chanyeol and Sameer had both served on the front lines venturing into no-man's-land to directly engage in battle. Both had been very brave in their action and turned the tide in many battles. In one of the battles, Sameer came face to face with King Dominic and broke all the bones of his left arm and face. To his credit, he was the first and so far only wolf to inflict a severe blood wound on King Dominic and was praised by King Dominic himself who sent his best medics to take care of him. While they were able to fix his arm, it healed at an awkward angle making it forever incapable to be used in war. Chanyeol took a voluntary discharge to take care of a recovering Sameer in an apartment they'd taken together (Sameer's family had run off to India at the first indication of trouble like the cowards they were. Oh and his brother got divorced again).

Latest in the long line of fallen comrades was Miranda from English who had recently been killed in Action, trying to break up an enemy supply line. We never got to make peace, her and I.

As for me, I continued to work at Dr. Kidjo's lab after school had been suspended indefinitely. I helped her make potions and helpful medicinal supplies. But at night carried on my own research using the book my dad had given me. As much as I felt sorry for myself I was more bitter about the fact that I couldn't go onto the frontline and help my friends. Save my loved ones do something more...substantial to the war effort.

So I read the book religiously day and night trying to come up with anything that I could use on the battlefield. It took some extensive reading, but to a strategists eye there were plenty of disruptive tactics that an Omega could employ.