Chapter 21

Five years since the beginning of the war

Sebastian's POV

"It's clear" I signalled to my warriors following me as they fanned out into the forest clearing. There was a small hideout being used as a stakehouse for ambush.

So that's how they've been easily supplementing their ranks.

"Beta sir! The place seems to emptied out." Aiden said. Aiden was a new second in command that had been assigned to me when the last one perished in the war and ended up drowning in the creek near the boundary of our kingdom and the Moonstone Pack. As much as I pitied Aiden for only being 15, and thrown into this dangerous situation. But we're at war, nothing is off limits.

To be honest, I had not anticipated this to last this long. Moonstone Pack was powerful but the fact that they were able to hold up their own against the might of the Bloodwolf kingdom, the overlord of all werewolves is astonishing. Although we've cut up more wolves than we've ever had to during an invasion, somehow they keep fighting.

Something's wrong.

"Aiden take cover" I whispered to him as I slid into the bushes.

"Huh" Aiden turned around confused but before he could take cover he was sent flying with his legs bound by a trip wire. He was eventually hanging upside down in the air.

Idiot, he must've triggered a trap.

He was yelling and crying full of panic "BETA SEBASTIAN PLS HELP ME. THIS THING ISNT COMING OFF"

*FACEPALM*

IDIOT WHY WOULD YOU ANNOUNCE TO THE ENEMY THAT YOU HAVE REINFORCEMENT AROUND.

My senses suddenly spiked as I slipped deeper in cover. Someone was coming, if I had any chance to save se I needed to catch the enemy by surprise.

Where are you?

As if on command emerged from the bushes a masked figure, wearing a traditional Indian Deity's mask with a military vest and camouflage pants. He was of shorter stature than an Alpha or Beta but had a sinewy lithe body. His frame radiate alertness but his scent was faint but sweet like flowers and wet Earth. He held in his gloved hands a small but formidable looking dagger.

Shit not him. Of all people.

The legend of the Masked Werewolf had become immortal. He had been a constant thorn in the King's side. Known for his innovative ambush and espionage tactics, he was able to move stealthily even with his heavy and alluring scent. We'd caught him many times spying on our reinforcements, wreaking panic and confusion through our soldiers many of whom went into a rut when he was around. That should have made him easier to catch because a werewolf in a rut can smell much more sensitively and has sharpened senses but he confused them by slathering random trees in the area with his scent causing my soldiers to run helter skelter while the Masked Wolf  ran away with supplies, or his captured comrades or destroyed out outposts. He was one of the most dangerous enemies we've had to face.

"Please don't kill me" Aiden started crying and begging for his life. "Please I will not ever come and fight".

"Shut up" said the masked figure.

"Please let me go. Please don't kill me please." His pleas were now veering on desperate as snot and tears started flowing from his facial orifices.

"How old are you?" The masked figure asked holding the dagger to his exposed abdomen as his t shirt had pooled near his neck.

"Fif..fifteen"

"Your Beta, where is he?"

"I don't know he wasn't with me" Aiden lied.

"Are you sure?" The masked figure brought the dagger upto his neck as Aiden panicked and started crying intesensely.

"I swear I don't know please let me go"

The masked figure crouched down to get on Aiden's eye level and spoke to him in a hushed tone.

"You're brave. What's your name"

"Ai..Aiden"

"I'll let you go Aiden but only if your Beta there doesn't follow me" he said pointing his finger right at where I was hiding. "Seems fair doesn't it Beta Sebastian?"

The jig is up I suppose.

I emerged from my hiding place and Aiden visibly relaxed, "Well I won't follow you so let him go."

He nodded and started moving away from Aiden while his dagger was still pointed in his direction. He got far enough that his daggers range would allow as I moved towards Aiden. Then he turned around and ran. I immediately turned and ran in his direction, knowing now that Aiden was safe.

He's stupid to assume I'll not follow him.

"Beta Sir watch out" Aiden yelled but in vain as I was soon caught up in the trap and hurled in the air. I reached upto my legs which were tied to a tree to try and free myself but failed. The wire was silver and cut into my ankles.

Fuck I stepped right into his trap.

He had set up two traps but we had managed to avoid one of them. So he baited me with Aiden and ran in the direction of the other trap knowing fully well I'll follow him. I was so sure I had him fooled that I didn't even check that he was going toward the same direction that we came from, meaning he was moving further from his territory and towards our own. That would not be a good strategy to escape, he was only faking it. I fell for his act.

Thankfully I didn't come alone. Anticipating an ambush we had come with reinforcements..well A reinforcement. But that reinforcement was enough to take down many of their wolves. And thankfully the masked warrior was headed in his direction.

"BETA MY ANKLES ARE HURTING" Aiden howled still crying.

Idiot

_______________________________________

Author's note: The picture included is the mask the warrior was wearing.