Chapter 23

Sebastian's POV

The bastard had spared no expense in setting up the most complicated and difficult to break out of trap. Nothing I did with my claws seem to work.

"I guess we'll just have to wait for someone to help us out of here. Aiden, how are you doing over there?"

"Im okay..Beta Sir" his voice laced with fear and anxiety. The ordeal seems to have done a number on him. I can hardly blame him anyway, the legend of the Mask Warrior ran rampant within our kingdom with wild tales of how he could control minds and move people against their will. Many said he had no wolf and was using witch magic to hide his scent. The youth were in equal parts fascinated and terrified of him.

Aiden had survived face to face combat with one of the most skilled warriors of our time. Well....not really combat since he never caught but gave up and cried. But still, he never revealed my location even under the threat of being killed. The kids had guts if no brains.

"Hey Aiden" I yelled, still hanging upside down from the tree.

"Yes Beta sir"

"Good job today squirt"

He looked at me like I was crazy. "But sir we never inflicted any damage to the enemy"

"That's true. But look on the bright side. You're still alive!" I said laughing.

It suddenly seemed to have dawned on him that he could have died today as the adrenaline receded. He howled loudly and started bawling as his whole body shook.

"Innocence" I smiled to myself.

So long since I've seen it.

Suddenly I was falling from the tree towards the ground. I quickly reoriented myself and landed on my feet. I looked around to find Dominic holding a Witches' dagger which he had used to cut off the silver trip wire.

"How could you be so stupid to fall for this?" He growled.

"He got me what can I say?" I shrugged. A sudden smile flashed across Dominic's face. I must be crazy but for a second I saw pride in his eyes.

He was proud that we were fooled? Masochist bastard.

"ALPHA DONT FORGET ABOUT ME PLEASE" Aiden begged from his upside down position. His t shirt must be drenched by now because he'd been crying the entire time.

After freeing him Dominic turned to me and said the words I had been dying to hear,

"We will sue for a ceasefire" he was barely able to get the words out of his mouth before he turned read and jaw tightened like he was fighting a great wave of pain.

It's Darius punishing him for even thinking about a ceasefire.

I could feel his body emanating pheromones of rage that caused me to keep a protective hand on Aiden. His temples veins were popping as he held is head and howled in pain. Aiden clung to my arm scared for his life. His eyes screamed pain but also determination. His breathing which was rapid before started getting more rhythmic and constant. He visibly started relaxing as a small trickle of blood dripped from his nose. I dare not point that out or help him, he was unstable right now.

Finally, Dominic completely composed himself and said in a low hoarse voice. "Do it before I change my mind"

"At once Your Majesty"

"Sebastian. I have one demand I wish to be incorporated in the treaty"

I nodded inviting him to provide his condition.

"I want them to send the Masked Warrior as their Emmisory."
__________________________________

Rishi's POV

I looked out from the roof of the pack house towards the Boundary Creek, it looked so serene flowing with such calm and grace as if it wasn't full of carcasses of fallen warriors and drenched in blood.

Where is he? He should be here by now.

This was has gone on for way to long over a an issue that is way too trite at this point. I don't understand why Alpha Loughlan doesn't give in and accept King Dominic as the new ruler.

Yes I do not call him the Mad King cause he's not. He's an astute warrior who's handled the charge of his military strategy exceptionally. If we were any other pack, he no doubt would have driven us to the ground but my father and Dr. kidjo's medical expertise is what is allowing us to take blow after blow. Not to mention the size of our pack has swelled to thrice it's original size, due to the influx of Queen loyalists.

While I do think Regicide is deplorable, Late King Damian had all the makings of an ineffective and foolhardy ruler, I doubt the realm would've been stable under his leadership. In fact even when he was alive there were factions gunning for Dominic which he could not quell. They likely had something to do with his disappearance. If that is true then it is a testament to their power that even the Dowager Queen couldn't stop them. She should have accepted defeat and relished in the fact that her own flesh and blood was on the throne but instead she championed her brother's son Avion for the throne, a mere child of 13. Ultimately unsuccessful they were both executed for treason.

We now don't even have a leader, let alone a cause to fight against Dominic for. Alpha Loughlan says violation of tradition should be punished and he's right about that. However, right by conquest is a legitimate claim to the throne so it's not like tradition couldn't accommodate this instance. Lives were being lost over nothing.

The damage to our pack had been immense. Out of my graduation high school class three fourths had been wiped out. Our shops, farms, parks, cinemas etc. remains deserted as children as young as 13 are thrust onto the battlefield. My parents were working overtime to heal the injured which were constantly coming in. Warriors that recovered from the injuries never really recovered from their emotional scars. If this is the cost of upholding tradition then I'd rather succumb and bend the knee to Dominic.

He's here. Agni my wolf whispered as I felt someone approaching me from the front. It was our spy the warrior with the mask of a calm Hindu deity that looked eerie in the setting sun.

"Doesn't it get sweaty behind the mask?" I asked

He chuckled before removing it revealing his sharp brown features, clever almond shaped eyes and a smooth brow dripping with silky black hair.

"Gotta protect the money maker. Besides it completes my lewk" he said flashing me a weary smile that I had long grown accustomed to. He was in pain but didn't want to make it known.

You've grown so much Jai.