Chapter 31

Rishi's POV

Goddess do not let Jai be stupid enough to return.

I was on the floor doing my daily push-up regiment. Exercise always helps me clear my mind and right now I needed a clear mind. The cool breeze against my sweat torso was a welcome relief.

245...246...247...248...250

I heard a polite knock on my door.

"Come in" I said continuing my push-ups.

The door opened and closed. I sensed someone come in and take a seat on the the chair by the study table. I couldn't tell who it was nor did I care. I was living on borrowed time anyway.

Agni and I have both resigned to our fate. Hopefully, Jai isn't coming back and Dominic would put me to death. I just hope Mom-Dad and Jai are able to slip through far away. As long as my family is safe this all will be worth it. Jai deserves freedom from this bullshit.

I heard Dominic clear his throat.

He's the last person I want to talk to before I die.

I ignored him and increased my pace as my anger rose, cursing through my veins.

367..368..369..370

"Alpha Rishi, do not forget I'm still your King"

Shit.

As much as I hated him, he's now my liege. I have to respect him. If this is going to be my last moments, I'm not going to compromise my honour even if I have to pay homage to a cunt.

I stopped and stood up wiping the sweat off my face. He threw me a towel that lay on the bedside dresser. He was sitting very casually in the chair with an air of danger. His eyes were focused on the wall infront of him not even sparing me a glance. He was not even a little bit on edge being alone with someone who nearly killed his Beta and four of his guards. I could really have my foot on his neck, but he's not a least bit concerned. He probably doesn't see me as a threat. His guard was down, if there ever was a time to strike it was now.

But I will not attack my Brother's mate.

"Your Highness" I nodded at him.

He looked deep in thought, staring intently at the wall infront of him. He sighed deeply and closed his eyes.

"He's not coming back is he?"

"No" I confidently replied.

"Well then, I hope you're ready to die." He said caustically, his eyes raining fury on me right now. His presence was powerful, putting me on edge making me take a step back and sat on the bed.

"I am your Highness"

He sounded surprised as he tensed his jaw continued staring at the wall tapping his signet ring on the arm of the wooden chair as his posture stiffened. As much as I wanted to rip his guts out, it was hard to not feel sorry for him right now. Imagine losing your mate because of your own truculence. If only he had gone about things better, if circumstances were different he would have his mate by his side right now.

Losing your mate is incredibly painful. The suffering of separation is said to be unbearable. The hollowness that overtakes your existence, and every breath you take is laborious. Your body cried out to be held by your mate, your wolf begs to be in their vicinity. Knowing that, that was what your future holds, is a burden far worse than death.

I looked at him and he was still fixated on the wall. An empty lifelessness expression on his face. His pain was palpable, as his posture shifted as if we was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders right now.