Chapter 39

Dominic's POV

"Your majesty there's been a breach detected in the southern part of the castle." Sebastian said in an unusually stoic voice.

I looked at the section of the map he was referring to and scanned its surrounding area. The section directly opened into the creek, is someone could swim up the castle, and get into the castle. This was a major security risk, so I could understand why Sebastian sounded serious.

Yet..something seems off.

Sebastian and I had a very precarious relationship. Unlike most Alphas and Betas we were aren't best friends. Since I was never touted to become the Alpha, even our parents never encouraged us to forge a bond. If anything, Sebastian emboldened my brother in his bullying of me. Holding me down for Damian to land a strike, lacing the blade with silver so it leaves a mark, wiping Damian's clothes off when they got bloodied with my retaliation. Him and Damian were truly best friends. I envied their friendship so much, whoever Damian went, Sebastian followed as his shadow. They studied together, trained together, ate together and if some rumoured were to believed even slept together. Each depended on the other to carry out their duty, as an Alpha-Beta pair should, and were ostensibly primed to become one of the better leader duos in history.

So when Damian summoned me to the castle to swear fealty, I was surprised to find he sent his Beta to make the delivery. Sebastian had emerged from the shadows with a a wicked smile on his face and his long blond hair parted perfectly in the middle flowing to his shoulders, his vice green eyes stuck to the piece of parchment he delivered to me.

"You know he intends to kill you." Sebastian said, "if you don't want to die, I suggest you kill him first."

To say I was taken aback would be an understatement. It surprised me not only that a Beta could even fathom killing his Alpha but that Sebastian was encouraging me to kill Damian. I didn't know how to process the information. My brother's right hand man, his most dependable ally his own Beta would betray him like this was shocking.

"If you do decide to kill him, claim the throne. Do not leave a power vacuum." He had warned.

I had decided that day that I had to keep a careful eye on Sebastian. He's tried to play king maker once, he wouldn't hesitate to do it again. And if he does overthrow me, I'll be executed so for me it's about survival.

Alternatively I could've killed him, but no one in the whole kingdom could come close to matching his skill, strategy and knowledge of our lands. He had studied his whole life for it, I didn't have any other option but to depend on him heavily when I first assumed my role. Fortunately, so far he had not crossed me. We mostly talked on matter of pack business and war, and didn't really bond.

I had no doubt that he had the welfare of the kingdom in his mind, but I doubted whether I fit into his plans in the future.

Which is why when he comes to me with information like this, I can't help but be suspicious of what his motives are. Securing a breach? Maybe. But who know what he has up his sleeve.

That being said the breach was an issue so we both decided to go and inspect it. I hadn't been to this part of the castle. I was mostly locked up in my room for fear of my brother, so I didn't really know the place that well.

A king who doesn't know his own castle. I am the definition of a sitting duck.

When we got there, I reached up first to inspect the small chamber that was carved right into the tower wall standing over the river that rumbled powerfully beneath it. It was cool and damp inside. I realised soon that the chamber w was blind and had only one opening which Sebastian was blocking standing behind me.

"Get the masons to seal this up." I said turning around to Sebastian who seemed too close for comfort. This whole situation was raising an alarm bell in my mind so was on guard.

"Ofcourse Alpha. Just one last thing." Sebastian said before he took a dagger out of his sleeve and brought it down on me.

I let the blade land a cut on me, so I could grab his shoulder and ram my knee into his abdomen. He slammed into the wall with a big thud.

"YOU SWINE." I raged grabbing him up by his collar and shoving him up against the wall again , where I felt his clavicle crack under pressure. I landed a few left hooks into his face but he only laughed.

"You're such a scared little boy Dominic." He snickered.

"I SHOULDVE KILLED YOU THE DAY YOU DECIDED TO SHOW UP WITH THAT LETTER." I yelled in his face as I bashed my own skull against his cracking his and drawing blood. He still had the dagger in his hand but he wasn't using it.

He wasn't fighting me back either. No matter how much I hit him, cracked his ribs, he didn't raise a finger. It's like he wanted to die.

Why isn't he fighting back?

My leg suddenly wobbled as I felt my knees give in and I sank to the ground. My vision blurred as voices around me faded into nothingness. I looked at Sebastian who lay unconcious half dead infront of me with an exhausted expression on his face. I tried to lift my fist but it wouldn't move. My whole body was sapped of its strength and it sank heavily into the floor.

I will not die like this. If I'm going down I'm taking this bastard with me.

I summoned strength to raise myself up again, so I could crash into this motherfucker and break every bone in his body but before I could ram into him, someone tipped me off balance and I fell to the ground face first. My body finally gave out as I angrily tried to move it, but then a familiar scent hit me. One that calmed me down. It made me let go of my senses that I was clutching on to desperately to regain control. But now I was calm and collected. This scent was so alluring like rain in a desert that I felt comforted by it.

Not a bad way to die.

I just remember someone gently lifting my head and putting it on their lap before my senses, like my muscles gave out and I plunged into the black void.