Chapter 33

Jai's POV

I finally put on the backpack I had made for myself and stood on the balcony of my chambers. The moon felt pale as it was about to give way to the sun, meaning werewolves around me would be their weakest. I put on my mask that had become familiar to my face and steeled my resolve once more.

Nyx needed me to leave. If he says Dominic isn't our mate then he isn't.

I slowly opened my beautiful sandalwood door and exited my room moving stealthily through the doors. The entire corridor smells like sandalwood and jasmine, emanating from my room. Thanks to the current vents, slowly the scent had permeated throughout the castle much to everyone's delight because it livened the damp air inside.

But it had another purpose, it allows me to move around undetected. The thick sandalwood scent mirrors my own very closely, and can make tracking me nearly impossible. Besides the concentrated smell near my room makes it impossible to detect my absence inside unless someone opens it to check it. Flushing my surroundings with my scent to move about freely had been my signature move by this point. The fact that it still has so much stealth equity is ridiculous lol.

I slid down the fire escape and into the gardens, where the guards are the least. The gardens here were unmatched though and truly the one thing I'll miss about this place. The startling variety of spices, flowers, herbs and vines created a stunning canopy over the entire area. All of it was irrigated by the river that ran underneath the castle and dropped over a short fall on the other side. If I could get down in it, I could easily move into the creek and swim away.

I was already past the winter rose pastures which looked heavenly. I had been told that Dominic liked gardening, and he took special care of his winter roses. Nurturing and pruning them with a delicate hand. I had scene first hand, that he would diligently attend to his plants and the literal fruit of his efforts was right there to see. It was a little surprising that a man like Dominic could be so gentle and careful.

Bitch stop thinking about him.

I finally reached the edge of the garden that sat beside the powerfully flowing river. Escape was so close I could taste it. Once I got out of this shit and got my feelings in check, I'd somehow send myself to med school. Something I never got to do and pick up my job as a healer and magical creatures scientist. Damn I absolutely forgot about all that training under Dr. Kidjo and my dad, my original dream. I might be walking away from my mate but I still had a life to build.

One step and I'll be free.

"Going somewhere Omega?"

An icy voice shot through the calm serenity of the garden. My heart sank as my body gave up on me and froze unable to move against the sheer power and rage that the voice held.

I had a feeling that the escape was turning out to be easier than I expected. I chalked it up to my strategic planning but one thing I forgot was that the gardens were Dominic's turf. He knew it like the back of his hand. If I was to pass through this, it was be like trying to pass through a spider web without walking up the beast itself. It was impossible.

And I could tell he was pissed. His voice alone had so much intent that it sapped my body of any willpower and sent my anxiety shooting up. I had pushed his buttons before and nearly lost my dad. What was I thinking? I couldn't have feasibly escaped. As my head cleared it dawned on me that I might have been doomed from the start. If I did manage to escape he might retaliate against my family. I had never factored that in.

Before I had the chance to think of my next move I was grabbed by my wrist, pulled back and pinned tightly against a tree. Surprisingly, Dominic didn't look angry but rather stoic. His eyes were pitch black again, the way they were in the courtroom and his scent was more primal, more fierce. I had no doubt that his wolf had taken over now because unlike Dominic who had an angry calm, this one was more ominous. Like I was staring the devil in the face and boy did he look like he could snap my neck and not give two shits about it.

"Why must you defy me this way Nyx?"

He said with a calm and collected look on his face as he ripped off my mask and pushed me further against the bark by caving me between his substantially larger frame. He was the definition of silence before the storm..

Wait did he say Nyx? How does he know what my wolf's name is? I've never told him.

There can be only one explanation. It was now proven beyond a doubt that Dominic Varela was my destined mate.