2022: 10-Ambush(PART1)

Marinette was having a difficult time getting her art project done. You would think it would be easy. Her problem? She was on her tippy-toes trying to get the book she desperately needed from the library. She was just about to jump and try to grab it, when she felt herself be boxed in. Someone else had grabbed the book. Marinette turned to thank the person and found herself in Damian Wayne's chest.

"Th-Thank you?" she spoke, reaching for the book.

Damian kept the book, just out of her reach.

"Art class assignment?" he questioned.

"Yes." Mari smiled.

"You swear you saw Damian Wayne come in here?"

"I swear!"

"Why would Damian come in here? Only nerds go in here!"

"Damian has the highest grades!"

"Damian Wayne isn't a nerd!"

"Once we start dating, you'll see!"

Damian sighed. Marinette quickly pulled him close by his tie and threw her arms around his neck. Damian dropped the book, as he grabbed the bookcase and his other arm around her waist, stopping her from falling under his weight.

'Was I wrong about her?'

"You-" he hissed.

"Shhhh!" she hushed back.

Damian heard the girls shriek behind them. He was sure they appeared to be in a compromising position.

"Are you kidding me?"

"Who the hell is that bitch?"

"I thought he was single!"

"Hey, all of you need to leave, now!"

"But-"

"Now! No shouting and no innapropriate language! If you don't leave, you'll be headed to the Principal's Office instead!"

Damian leaned away the moment he heard their footsteps walking further away. He looked down to see Marinette blushing and looking at the floor.

'So she couldn't handle her own actions?'

Damian smirked, "I wasn't expecting to get ambushed by a classmate."

Marinette quickly looked up. He was able to see her cheeks had turned bright red and so had the tips of her ears.

"So-sorry!" she squeaked, "I just wanted to help. They didn't see me so they'll just assume you are dating someone and back off."

'Not taking advantage of the situation? If I remember correctly, she's had trouble with other girls for not acting like them. She doesn't like crowds or lies. She is honest, herself.'

Damian boxed her back in and tilted her chin up so he could get a better look at her.

"Except, I'm not a liar." he whispered, "How about we work on the assignment together?"

"O-Otay!-Kay!Kay" Marinette stammered, "I meant okay!"

"What are you looking for in your report?" Damian questioned.

"Um, I mostly work in fashion design. So lots of cloth, fabrics, textures, dyes, history." Marinette explained.

"For example, how they use to paint with eggshell powder and berries?" he asked.

"Yes!" she exclaimed, "What kind did they use to dye clothes? How did they know how much to use? Art helps move culture around so much and no one realizes it."

Damian smirked, "My mother use to give me paint palettes. After some time, I believe she made them herself, but I never asked. It didn't matter at the time, but now that she's gone, I wish I had asked her where she got them. Paint in tubes don't come close to what I'm use to."

Marinette smiled, "Do you still paint?"

The Wayne heir nodded.

"May I ask what kind?" she questioned.

"Realistic, mostly." Damian spoke, "I painted Mother recently, but something is not quite right. I have put it to the side for now."

"Is it an older memory?" Marinette asked, "If it is, maybe try to paint something you remember more. Something more recent you remember of her. It might help you figure out what your other painting is missing."

Damian thought of Talia and the last time he saw her. There was fire, blood, smoke. She looked invincible. He could practically smell the metal and taste the ash in his mouth. He quickly put that thought away for later.