2023:16-Pet Store

Marinette thanked the kwamis for giving her an advantages around animals. She had moved to Gotham and was working part time at a pet store. Her new apartment still didn't allow animals, but she could still play with them.

Marinette looked up from her desk as an owner and his dog walked up to the counter.

"This is Titus." the boy announced.

"I can take him from here." Mari spoke.

"I insist that I take him to the back." he stated, "You look new. Titus has specific taste."

Marinette rolled her eyes and grabbed the leash out of his hand.

"Come on, Titus." she smiled, "Think you can prove your owner wrong and go by yourself like a good boy?"

Marinette turned and Titus willingly walked along side her to the back. Neither saw Damian's shocked expression. Damian had trained Titus himself. He knew Titus wouldn't trust anyone so easily.

'Something is wrong here.'

When Damian returned, his anger only grew. The same girl had brought Titus back out for him. Titus stood towering over her and licked her cheek. She had smiled and reached behind the counter and handed him a sealed dog biscuit shaped like a bone.

"The ingredients are written down on the back." the girl declared.

Damian turned it over and sure enough there was a sticker on the back.

"The font is misleading." Damian spoke, "It appears to be handwritten."

"It is." Marinette replied, "I made them. I make all the treats."

Damian looked at it again and shoved the treat in his pocket.

"Titus. Come." He spoke.

Titus followed obediently.

'I'll just run analysis on this and see what kind of underground network she is apart of.'

Damian had found no hidden agenda through the biscuit. All ingredients were perfectly healthy for Titus or any dog. He had handed it over to Titus in disappointment. Titus ate it happily.

'Traitor, but I know who won't betray me.'

Oh how wrong he was. Marinette carried a happily purring Alfred the cat in her arms.

'I should bring Goliath. She'd likely be frightened. I would win and she would no longer have power over my pets. I could do that, but then Father would be upset. He already doesn't like Goliath and finds him to be dangerous. This would only further his thinking.'

"Cupcake!" a voice shouted from behind him.

"Uncle Jagged!" Marinette smiled, placing Alfred in his carrier.

Damian turned to see Jagged Stone and his famous pet crocodile walk in. He watched in surprise as she disregarded the reptile and hugged the Rockstar. After, she turned towards the croc. Damian was ready to pull her away, but the croc rolled over and she scratched his stomach as if it as a dog. He was speechless.

'Maybe bringing Goliath would be a mistake. I need to learn her secrets.'

Marinette looked at Damian as he handed over his resume.

"You don't need the money." She spoke, "So why?"

"I prefer animals to human company." He answered honestly.

Mari smiled, "I say anyone who doesn't is a liar."

Marinette turned away and took the resume to the back. Damian realized he had smirked when she left. He quickly brought him emotions under control.

"I don't think there would be a problem, but I'm sure my boss would want to cover her ass, if you somehow got hurt on the job." She declared, coming back.

"Explain." Damian insisted.

Marinette sighed, "Make sure that if you got injured, while on the job, that she isn't sued by a Wayne."

"I would be fine." he growled out.

"And your father?" she asked.

The Wayne heir sighed, "I think his only concern is that I don't bring more animals home." making her giggle.

'Did I pass?'

Damian was called back to the boss' office. He knew they wanted to know his angle; why he wanted to work there. His siblings ad gone through it before when they got jobs. Damian took out an envelope and slid it over the desk.

"Inside is a viable check worth $10,000." Damian stated, "Pair me with Marinette Dupain-Cheng as my mentor. If I am not paired with her, I'll report the check as fake."

The vet just looked at the signed check and nodded, absent-minded. As Damian went looking for Marinette, he heard the boss call out that they had a quick errand to run.

Damian observed how careful she was with the animals. There were times he thought she was trying to flirt, by acting clumsy, but he quickly learned that wasn't the case. Other workers would ask if she had fallen that day or if she needed a bandaid.

Marinette waved off the concern, "It'll just be another bruise. I probably wouldn't notice. I can't keep count."

If he caught her, she'd say thank you and continue ignoring him. Damian had learned from the other workers that Marinette fixated only on the animals. They invited her many times to hang out or even grab a bite to eat after work. Some offered to pay, but the answer was always no. They had later learned that in the past, Marinette's friends had backstabbed her. As a result, she was friendly at work, but once she was off the clock, she didn't give them a chance to get to know her.

"I would like for you to come to my home." Damian declared.

"No. Thank you." Marinette answered, getting ready to leave for the day.

"I have animals." he spoke.

"I've seen them." She replied, "Titus and Alfred, correct?"

"You haven't seen Jerry or Batcow." he remarked.

Marinette froze as she was tying her shoe.

"As in-" she began.

'Gotcha.'

Damian smirked, "Batcow is an actual cow and just so you are aware, Jerry is a turkey."

He could see her trying to figure out how to answer him. Ignore him or see animals she had never seen before.

"I'd like to see the cow." Marinette whispered, embarrassed, "This doesn't mean were friends, all of a sudden!"

"Of course not." Damian agreed, "Just colleges, who share a love of animals."

Marinette smiled as she walked out the door.