2022: 31-Beginnings

Damian sighed. He was already loathing the thought of school. It wasn't the thought of the girls who threw themselves at him or a test he hadn't studied for; No, he had lost a bet.

Jon was already smiling as Damian exited the car.

"As per the rules of the bet," Jon announced, "had I lost, I was to sneak into Pa's sanctuary and take a picture as proof. Since you lost,-"

"I have to make a 'flirty comment' to the first girl I see." Damian continued.

"Once you are inside the school." Jon stated.

"Right." he grumbled.

'Let's just get this over with. Whatever stupid girl that becomes infatuated with me and follows me, I can just tell her it was part of a bet. That should get her to leave me alone.'

Damian and Jon walked into the school. Damian quickly turned around to see what girl would be coming next up the stairs.

"How was Heaven when you left it, Angel?" Damian questioned.

'That should suffice. It sounded like some ridiculous thing Grayson would say.'

Damian already opened his mouth to mention it was just part of a bet. He expected her to throw herself at him, ask him about when they could date, but he never expected to see her glaring at him. He hadn't remembered seeing a girl with eyes this blue before.

She pointed at him and jabbed him in his chest, "I will snap you like a twig. Never speak to me like that again."

'An accent?'

Then, she was gone. Damian quickly turned to see her walking towards the Dean's office.

"Damian, please don't hurt her." Jon whispered, grabbing onto his arm, "I think she's new."

The Wayne heir closed his eyes and exhaled.

'She doesn't even know who I am.'

Damian Wayne was trained as an assassin. He trained with ninjas. It wasn't hard to follow the new girl around. He needed to explain what happened this morning. Usually, he wouldn't bother to explain himself, but he had to!

Damian spotted her in the hall. He walked quickly behind her and touched her shoulder, to gain her attention. He didn't expect her to grab his wrist, twist his arm, and bring him to his knees. Damian saw Jon freeze near him. He could see panic cross his face.

"Can I help you with something?" Marinette questioned, "You've been following me all day."

'She noticed me?'

"I wanted to apologize for my comment this morning." Damian began to explain, "My friend and I had a bet; I lost. I had to make a flirtatious remark to the first female I laid eyes upon once I was inside the school."

Marinette let go of his arm, but glared at him nonetheless. She watched him warily.

'Green eyes. Why do green eyes always start off being honest?'

Mari sighed, "Thank you. I'm sorry if I was too rough."

"You defended yourself admirably." Damian replied.

Everyone that had been watching, let out a breath of relief.

"I tried." she smiled, "Probably not as good as someone born in Gotham."

"I moved here seven years ago." Damian answered.

Jon couldn't believe he was hearing Damian's heart race.

"I want to apologize. I have been on edge and I promised myself I wouldn't be the same person I was back in Paris." she spoke.

"Same person?" asked Jon, unconsciously.

"A spineless nobody." Marinette frowned, "Thank you for apologizing."

Marinette turned and began to walk away.

"I didn't get your name." Damian called out.

"Marinette." she spoke.

"Damian." he answered.

"Oh." Mari spoke up, "Just for future reference, puns are horrible and aren't cute. Never use a pun to flirt with me, unless you want to be punched in the face." and walked away.

Damian gulped.

'She really is an angel.'