Chapter 1: Kevin

I can't believe I agreed to this. I can't believe I volunteered to help out at the elementary school carnival on Halloween. I could've tagged along with my brother to some party. It'd be a lot more entertaining than making sure 6 year olds don't start a war on each other, or eat anything and everything other than candy.
At least I have company. I think his name's Streber. He doesn't really say much, but he's really good with the kids. And plus, he's dressed as a vampire. I like vampires. I read somewhere that the original vampire story wasn't dracula, but a teen lesbian romance. When you think about it, it might've been a story to demonize lesbians, but I didn't really get that impression the first time I read it. It was honestly really sweet and, honestly, a sad story.
Streber has always been a bit in the shadows. He had never been too memorable, always reading, never in the front of the classroom. We have math together. He's never done anything remarkable. He was quiet. I've always taken a liking to him. He's never bothered anyone, even if they were bothering him. After Streber walked back over to me after dealing with a rebellious 9 year old, I awkwardly said, "I like your costume." Streber smiled and replied, "Thanks, you too.".
I didn't think my costume was very great. I had dressed up as Party Poison, the lead of the famous Killjoys, from that one My Chemical Romance album. Gerard Way can pull it off, but I feel like I look like a clown. But Streber seemed sincere.
That's another thing I liked about him. He was always so nice, you could never tell if he was lying when he said something like that. "Thanks." I say. I attempt to start a conversation. "So, uh...Streber, right?" He nods. "That's me! And you're...." he stopped to think. He never really stopped to notice details, so I wasn't surprised he didn't know my name. "I'm Kevin." I finally told him. "We have the same math class." His face seemed to light up, for a reason I can't seem to pinpoint. "Right, Kevin! Sorry, I'm really bad with names."
I softly smile. "Don't sweat it. Say, how many volunteers did they take?" Streber shrugged. "Seems like there are more volunteers than children." I immediately have an idea. "Wanna sneak over to that field over there? It doesn't seem like they need us right now." I said, gesturing to a crowd of 7 year olds cheering, happy to see some childish halloween movie started. Streber sighed with relief. "Please."
We both grab a small bottle of sprite and hurry over to the field in between the first and second grade classrooms. I sat by the wall of a second grade teacher's classroom. Streber sits beside me, and starts attempting small talk. "What year are you?" he asks. "I'm a freshman, you?" Streber answers with a quick, "Me too.". Streber smiled. "That's great!" He paused for a moment. "I know we don't really know each other that well, but do you think we could be friends?" That's when it hit me. He wasn't a self proclaimed lone wolf. He was just lonely. And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't lonely as well. "Sure." I told him. He smiled. I can't remember what we talked about the rest of the night, but it was a perfect night.