Chapter 78: Streber

(two years after the attack, a few days before Halloween)
(contains Gilmore Girls spoilers)
After getting out of the hospital, I had to undergo a lot of physical therapy. Which really put a dent in our wallets.
So planning the wedding took us a lot longer than anticipated. But it would finally happen on Halloween. Luckily, Rick didn't end up quitting, and he offered to take Kevin's shift for that day.
Kevin has seemed a lot happier, too. We finally watched the Gilmore Girls special, "A Year in the Life" one day after work, and Kevin seemed really enthusiastic and less tired.
"Holy shit, Rory's pregnant?!" he exclaimed.
Radford opened his door, angry. "Screw you, I'm on season 7!"
Kevin and I just burst into laughter in response.
Every so often, though, one of us would get flashbacks. Most of the time when that happened, luckily, we were near each other.
But once, I had a panic attack in my acting class.
I was sent home, and Kevin rushed back from work to spend the day comforting me.
My parents and my sister still didn't know I was getting married. And I wanted to keep it that way. They treated me like garbage until they threw me out, I shouldn't have to have contact with them.
It was two days before the wedding. And I really didn't want to wake up that morning.
Or, rather, I didn't want Kevin to leave. I didn't want to leave him alone. He had a nightmare about...the incident the night before.
"N-no...d-don't take him away!" he yelled, waking me up. He was still asleep, holding onto my hand.
"Kev...Kev, it's okay..." I whispered.
Obviously, this didn't wake him up. "Kevin, wake up. It's okay...I'm here..."
His eyes opened. "Oh, thank god...just a nightmare..." He wrapped both of his arms around me. "I thought I lost you for a moment..."
I wrapped my right arm around him, comforting him. "It's okay...shh..I'm here..."
When he "woke up" for the morning, he didn't look like he slept at all.
"Streb, I have to get to work..." He mumbled.
I looked at him, concerned. "Are you sure you can't take the day off? I can ask Ross to take your shift, if you want me to."
He got even more help at the Candy Club. Once Ross turned 16(note:Robert is canonically 14, so I think the rest of the Hatzgang is 14, and this part takes place 2 years after Tender Treats), he decided to start working at the Candy Club to earn some money for college. 
Kevin sighed. "Doesn't Ross have school today?"
"Hon', their classes are virtual for now because they still have to repair the school because of what happened with that cult last year." I reminded him.
"Oh, yeah..." He thought about it for a moment. "I can ask him, I guess..." He unplugged his phone, writing Ross, asking for backup.
A few minutes later, Ross responded. Kevin read the message out loud. "I forgot I didn't have a shift today haha, of course I'll cover your shift!" Kevin smiled and looked up at me. "We have the day to ourselves, then!" He beamed, pulling me into a hug.