Chapter 32: Streber

I never learned the name of the kid that approached me at church that day. I've just called him "Candy Dealer". Ultimately, I realized how suspicious that sounded, but I never told anyone about him, so why should it matter at all?
I didn't want anyone to find out about this. Not even Kevin. So, I've been kind of pushing him away. But that's just because I love him. I don't want him worrying over nothing.
Sure, I felt bad for pushing Kevin away like that, but it's just because he shouldn't have to worry about me.
Me and Evelyn haven't been able to really talk that much. Most of the time, she was with her new boyfriend, Jared, and when Evelyn and I were alone in the same room it always ended up being deafening silence, or a full-blown fight that had to be broken up by our mom.
We didn't start fighting until last month.
"So, Streber, when are you gonna get a girlfriend?" Mom had asked. Dad was at work at the time, so I blurted out, "Uh..mom...I'm gay and I have a boyfriend."
Evelyn glared at me. She still didn't think I was ready. But I was.
Mom had just responded with, "Oh! Who is he? Do I know him? Is he nice?"
"I've been going out with Kevin for almost 2 years." I simply said in return.
Later, Evelyn confronted me. The fight was a bit of a blur, considering I was a bit high during the argument.
But it was almost Halloween again. I wish I could still be excited about it, but it just wouldn't be the same after what happened the year before.
It was 4 pm. I was lying in bed with a pounding headache. I decided to facetime Kevin. To reassure him that I was okay.
Kevin picked up the phone almost immediately. He looked like he had been crying. And he was with Radford, who appeared worried.
"Hey, are you guys okay?" I asked.
"I was about to ask you the same thing...I'm fine...But are you?"
My heart sank. Was Kevin worried, and I've just been pushing him away, making him even more worried?
"I-I..." I didn't want to lie to Kevin. But I didn't want to scare him either.
When I didn't answer, Kevin asked, "What's going on, honey...?"
I didn't say anything for a while, and after a solid minute, I just said, "I'm fine, don't worry. I love you." And I hung up before he could say anything else.