Chapter 2: Streber

I just had the best Halloween of my life. I spent most of the time at the carnival talking to Kevin. I didn't ever think I'd get the chance.
I'm sure I'm rather extroverted, but I'm always too intimidated to talk to him.
I mean, it's not every day that someone has the guts to stand up against Carmen.
Carmen is a senior at our high school. She is also the meanest girl on campus, but everyone is blindsighted by her money and looks.
It's rumored that she dealt with a teen pregnancy when she was a freshman, and she's still taking care of the kid. If true, that would make her at least somewhat moral, if she was trying to be a good mom. But I doubt her parents allowed her to get an abortion. I honestly feel bad for her. Her parents are really controlling.
I used to know her brother, and he told me everything about her parents. Sadly, she didn't feel so bad for me. She learned from her brother that I was gay, and she started harrassing me about it. She then took the book I had been reading as I was trying to ignore her out of my hands. It was called "Devil in the White City". It's a true crime novel. I bring it to school because I can't let my parents know that true crime, of all things, piqued my interest. She began reading the summary. She started laughing a little bit. "Gay freak."
That's when Kevin walked between her and I. He retrieved my book and at first respectfully asked her to leave, but then they got into an argument. Carmen ended up punching Kevin in the eye. I can't remember much, it was all a bur. But I've had this odd admiration for Kevin ever since. And now he and I were officially friends.
Now that I think about it, the black eye might explain the Party Poison costume. Nobody at an elementary school carnival would know who The Famous Killjoys are, let alone Party Poison. But he looked great in the costume.
From tonight, I've figured out that Kevin is really into musical theater. I've only really known Sweeny Tod and The Book Of Mormon. But he enjoyed talking about some I hadn't even heard of. I can't remember any of the names, but one was about a highschooler who didn't fit in, so he took a pill to guide him, and another one about a girl trying to survive her last year of high school but her boyfriend's a homicidal murderer. I was really interested in that second one. We just spent the rest of the carnival time talking. He's a lot of fun to be around. We also both take an interest in John Mulaney. I'm glad I finally have a friend who shares some of my interests. Or, rather, a friend in general.