Chapter 80: Streber

Kevin was holding onto my hand even tighter than he was before. I look at him, and I see an uneasy look on his face.
    "Kev, are you okay?" I asked.
    "No, mom, leave them alone!" I heard a voice I hadn't heard in a while. Evelyn.
    I shifted my focus on where Kevin had been looking. I saw my mother approaching Kevin and I.
    "When were you planning on telling me you were getting married? Not to mention what happened to your arm!" She said.
    I couldn't seem to stop myself from a tiny chuckle. "Hello to you too, mom."
    "Mom, I really don't think this is a good idea.." Evelyn tried to stop her, to no avail.
    "We're family, Streber! I have a right to know these things!" She ignored Evelyn's attempt to cool her off.
    "Really? Family? Funny, I remember you kicking me out after telling Evelyn that I was no son of yours." I fought back. "So yeah, I've never felt the need to tell you anything." I tried to cross my arms, forgetting that I didn't have my left arm anymore.
    Kevin tried to calm me down. "Streber, please calm dow-"
    "Stay out of this, Kevin!" I snapped.
    Mom scoffed. "Well, at least I know that you're still rude to your mentally deranged girlfriend."
    Evelyn began scolding Mom now. "Mom! What the Hell?!" she yelled.
    I noticed Kevin, scared, behind me.
    "Mom, just leave me and Kevin alone! You kicked me out five years ago, and you suddenly want me to catch you up on everything going on in my life?"
    "Well, you're my son!"
    I started laughing again. Like how I laughed the day I was kicked out all those years ago. "Last time I checked, I was a 'thing' that you wanted more than anything to send to hell to rot for eternity!"
    Evelyn began pulling Mom away, and Kevin grabbed onto my arm.
    "Family is supposed to tell each other everything!" Mom said firmly.
    I looked at Kevin, making eye contact with him. I thought about everything that I had gone through with him. Meeting Radford. The time he and I spend together. I thought about the Hatzgang, and how Ross acted as a younger brother towards me. I thought about Lila, and how she loved talking to me after my performances, and sometimes when I helped out at the Candy Club. I thought about Jenna, and how we spend our time planning our haunted house.
     I smiled at my mom. Words I never thought I'd ever speak started slipping out. "I've found a better family than you could ever hope to be."