Chapter 13: Kevin

"Alright, if you say so." Something was definitely up with Streber. He seemed anxious. Like, really anxious.
I look back at the guy at the counter. He grabbed a red mask and walked towards the back of the restaurant. The mask looked familiar, but I couldn't tell where I had seen it.
Wherever it came from, it seemed to terrify Streber, because as soon as he realized I was looking in the man's direction, he pulled me away.
"Don't stare at him!" He quietly pleaded. There was fear in his eyes.
"Streber, seriously, what's wrong?" I asked.
Streber pulls out his phone and pulls up a picture of a man in a devil mask and a red sweater on a news report, reading, "We have now linked 6 murders with this mysterious serial killer. Any information is appreciated."
That's why he was worried.
"I'm sure harmless Bob Velseb isn't the killer."
Bob was a beloved member of the community. He hosted barbecues, he was close to the mayor, he volunteered for after school activities at the elementary schools, and even protected a lesbian couple from a creep.
He couldn't be a serial killer, could he? Nah.
"They said the same thing about John Wayne Gacy!" He exclaimed.
"Streber, relax. It's just Bob." He was still freaking out, so I gave him a huge hug.
"Hey, it's fine, Streb.". They hugged in return. They didn't seem to want to let go. Poor guy. They were scared.
After the hug, he looked at me, blushing.
Does he like me? Nah, he wouldn't. I'm a wreck. No one would want the anxious baggage of Kevin. And plus, he deserves a real guy.
Honestly, now that I think about it, I might like him. He's cute, he's sweet, he's caring, smart, funny, and never fails to put a smile on my face. And his presence makes me happier than I've ever been in my life.
But he'd never want me.
Streber smiled at me. "Heh, thanks for calming me down.."
His voice and his smile are so cute.
Oh no. What if I blurted out that I liked him and the friendship became ruined beyond repair?
I smile back, my face probably redder than a tomato. "Heh, it's no problem! You're my best friend, after all!"