Chapter 63: Radford

"Just...just come over here." I told Kevin over the phone.
I heard him crying on the other end. "A-alright..." he said. "I'm almost there."
I almost immediately saw him running towards me.
"Is he okay? Where is he-" Kevin's face went from worry to horror in the span of a couple seconds when he saw Streber being carried on a stretcher, soaked in his own blood.
"N-no...I'm just having that stupid nightmare again, aren't I?" Tears were streaming down his face as he started laughing in disbelief. "I'm going to wake up, and Streber is going to be in my arms, safe, away from harm."
I looked at Kevin sadly. "Kevin..."
His expression changed. He looked shattered. "He's not dying, right? Radford, tell me he's not dying!"
"I don't know, I'm not a medical professional!" tears were forming in my eyes.
He watched as the ambulance drove away. Tears were pouring out of his eyes so much, you'd think his eyes were Niagara Falls.
I started crying too. Streber had always been a great friend. He enjoyed cooking with me, he had always been there when I needed him, and he was really understanding. I wasn't sure what I would do if he died.
But now, we might have to face that horror.
I hugged Kevin. I could only imagine what thoughts must be going through his head. The love of his life could be dying.
He hugged back. "I don't want to lose him..." he said between tears.
"I-I'm sure he'll be okay..." I tried to reassure him. I wasn't sure myself, but it hurt that my two closest friends were suffering.
One, quite literally could be dying.
But I didn't want the other to feel so awful. I mean, he was going to be shattered because of what happened to his boyfriend, but it still hurt to see him like this.
"God, out of all nights, too..." Kevin sighed. "What if he does die? What if I lose the one thing that makes me think that this life is worth living at all?!"
He stopped for a moment. "Radford, pinch me! I want to wake up!"
"Kevin, this isn't a dream!" I exclaimed. "I-I'm sorry..."
"No...don't apologize..." he stopped again. "Sorry for throwing candy at you earlier..."
"...I-" I wasn't sure what to say. What are you supposed to say to someone when the love of their life is in the hospital, most likely dying?
I just hugged him. "Don't apologize. I don't care about that anymore. It was only candy..."
A wave of panic washed over me. I realized that Robert could be unsafe. He's been out all night with Ross and briefly with Roy. What if he got hurt too? I can't bear the thought of losing him too.
Losing him....again...