Chapter 15: Kevin

Spirit Halloween was pretty crowded today. Jack had to "attend to some business", so he told me to write to him when we were done.
Streber ran off pretty quickly to look around, and I quickly lost track of him. That's when I heard a familiar voice.
"Kevin? Is that you?"
I look behind me to see a kid a bit taller than me, with freckles and messy light brown curly hair.
"Radford!" I exclaimed. "I haven't seen you since that after party on the closing night of Rent!"
Radford was a good friend that I never got a chance to see outside of theater. We had actually briefly "went out", but not too long into the relationship, he came out as aromantic.
And we've just been really close theater friends since.
"How have things been, Kev?" He asked.
"Things are doing great! I have tickets to a showing of Phantom of the Opera on the 30th!"
"Oh my Johnathan Larson, that's amazing!" He practically squeaks. "How are things going with Streber?"
"Things are going well, I'm here with him to get the finishing touches of his costume."
He looks around me. "Did he run off?"
I smile. "Yeah." He has run off. I should probably find him soon.
"Are you planning on telling him anytime soon?" Radford knew that I kinda liked Streber. I've never told him, but he pretty much guessed it on his own.
"I don't know, I'm scared it'll ruin our friendship.." I said.
Radford gave me a look. "Listen, did it ruin our friendship when we broke up because I came out as aromantic?"
"I mean, no, but-"
"It's going to be just fine, then. Streber's a really understanding guy. Even if he doesn't feel the same way, it won't ruin your friendship with him."
I sighed. "That's easy for you to say. What if he's uncomfortable?"
"Kevin, he won't be. Honestly, from what I've seen with you two, he's hopelessly pining."
I laughed. "You're just saying that."
Radford put a hand on my shoulder. "Just tell him when you're ready. And I'll bet you 15 bucks he confesses first."
I smile. "Deal!"
He laughs. "Now go find your boyfriend before he gets into trouble." Radford teases.
"Heh, alright. Bye, Radford!" I wave goodbye.
"Bye, Kev! See you at rehearsal!" He waved back.
I began searching for Streber. I kind of expected him to be in the Beetlejuice section because of his love for that film, but I couldn't find him there.
I swear, if they're hiding from me, I'll kill them.
But I ended up spotting him by a wall of hats and masks, focusing on a black top hat with a yellow ribbon around it.
I approached him, ready to take Radford's advice, when he asks,
"Was that your boyfriend?"
I was puzzled. No, Radford isn't my boyfriend. I don't think of him romantically anymore, like, at all.
"No, that's Radford. He isn't particularly interested in romance at all, so, no. He's not my boyfriend."
He seemed to light up. "Cool! Was he in Rent?"
"He worked at the ticket booth. He really enjoys that job, even if he doesn't show it." I smile at his expression.
I just want to hold him and protect him from the evils in the world. He looks so precious.
"Are you interested in that hat?" I asked.
He nods. "It's perfect for my costume!"
He's perfect. I start getting closer to him. I'm about to put my hand in his, when he looks at me obliviously.
"Edd is hosting a Halloween party, you wanna go with me?" He asks.
"Sure! I don't have anything else planned!"
I'm too awkward for this.