Chapter 45: Kevin

After helping a few more customers, I got a call from Radford.
"Hello?" I said.
"Kevin, did you know your boyfriend just adopted a kitten?" He asked.
I honestly wasn't surprised, he'd been thinking about getting a kitten for a while.
He loves cats. And I'm okay with them, so I told myself I wouldn't be mad if he just brought one home one day. If it makes him happy, I can't stay mad at him for it.
"Uh, alright..." I wasn't sure how to respond. We had a cat now.
Thank god he didn't adopt a child, though. I don't think I'll ever be ready to be a parent. Dealing with kids is already difficult enough working at the Candy Club.
"Does he have a name for it yet?" I asked Radford.
"Yeah, he named her Lydia."
"Oh, like Lydia Deetz!" I probably should have expected this. Streber loves Beetlejuice.
"Who?" Radford asked.
"For a guy that works at a movie theater, you sure don't know much about movies." I laughed.
It was odd that I hadn't seen Skid or Pump this year. Maybe they had other plans.
~~~~~~

I headed home, listening to Plastic Beach. Most kids were heading home for the night.
I opened the door to find that Streber was putting some cat food in a bowl by the living room. A small kitten hopped over to the bowl, taking tiny bites.
"Guys, I'm home!" I exclaimed. Streber got up and gave me a huge hug. "Hey, honey, I'm sorry I couldn't visit you today, I was helping this one out." He gestured to a small kitten. "Her name's Lydia!" He had a huge smile on his face.
"She's so cute!" I exclaimed. I bent down to pet her, but she flinched at first. Eventually, she let me pet her. She was afraid of people she didn't know. Noted.
Radford walked out of the kitchen. "Oh, hey, Kevin. I'm making Mac and cheese, if you want any."
"That sounds great, Radford!" I smiled.
Streber grabbed my hand and kissed me on the cheek.
"Can we watch Corpse Bride while we eat?" He asked.
I smiled lovingly. "Of course, Streb."
Streber smiled. He got up to grab medicine for the kitten to help her become stronger(mostly because she'd probably die without it, and I could tell that Streber cared about her), and put it in her bowl while she was eating.
I watched them lovingly. Streber was honestly the best person I've ever met. I didn't think it was possible for someone to be so nice.
I thought about the nightmare-or should I call it a daymare I had earlier in the candy store.
I was beyond grateful that it was just a dream. I don't think I'd ever forgive myself if anything like that happened to him.