Chapter 18: Streber

I remember waking up the next morning with a splitting headache. I'm wearing a gray hoodie under a button up shirt that feels sticky.
The party must have gone great.
I grab my phone and see I have a message from Kevin

Did you really mean what you said last night?

I can't remember anything I said last night.

                            Depends. What did I say?
You know. About you being in love with me?

Great. Perfect. I told him. I guess I can't hide from it now. The damage has probably already been done.
                                Yeah lol. I hope that's okay
          with u
Yeah, ofc! Do you maybe wanna go out
on Wednesday, if you're not busy, ofc

Wait, is this happening? Is..Is Kevin asking me out on a date?

                                    Wait, wait, wait
                                    You feel the same way?

Yeah I have for a while lol

Why have I been so blind? This should've been at least a little obvious.

                                     What time Wednesday?
I'm free at 4: 30, does that sound good?
                                    That sounds perfect!

A date with Kevin. I couldn't believe it. He liked me? All this time I've been shoving my feelings for him deep down, and he was right there, in love.
I got a notification from a news network a moment later. The masked killer had apparently struck again, being seen at...Edd's house??
Was I there during the attack? No, I couldn't have been. But there have been 3 victims found at the scene, all missing limbs. It was a haunting sight. Did he know I was going to that party and was after me because I may have found his identity?
It's not likely law enforcements would have believed me anyway. Bob is well liked in the community. But there's always been something off about him, and I think I'm the only one who sees that. Not even Kevin sees that.
But what if he's trying to find me? I don't want to die. I have to live for Evelyn and Kevin. I can't die on them! I can't leave Evelyn alone! She needs me, I know it. And I can't leave him. He cares. He actually cares.
I have to try to stay away from Bob Velseb for as long as I can.
I got up out of my room and made my way to the kitchen. I need some hot chocolate. Huh. My first "hangover food." Or, rather, a hangover drink.
"Hey, Streber." Evelyn approached me. "Did you hear what happened at Edd's place last night?"
"Yeah..It's insane..." What if it's my fault 3 innocent people lost their lives? What if-
Ding dong
I see a person just behind the door.
Right.
My parents had a barbeque today, and Bob was going to help them. This was the end. I would never get to my date with Kevin, I'd never graduate high school, I'd never be an actor, and I'd never get a cat