Chapter 6: Streber

As I walk through the door beside my sister, holding my cup of Sprite, I notice my dad staring at something.
"Dad, you okay?" I ask. He looked in my direction, about to answer, then realized it was me, and just rolled his eyes and went back to whatever he was doing. I sighed in defeat, and sat down at the table to eat. I pull out my phone, some headphones, and my sketchbook. I started a true crime podcast, and began drawing. I love drawing objects, vampires, and movie characters, like Beetlejuce and the Beldum.
But since every Halloween I dress up as a vampire, I enjoy designing costumes, mostly using the clothes in my closet. This year, I wore a trench coat over a dark grey jumper, black jeans, small bat wings, and my fake vampire fangs, as per usual. I began doodling outfits for the next year, because any part of the costume I don't have, I make, and that usually takes me a very long time.
I doodle a magenta button up over a pirate-style shirt, a cape where one side was green, the other black, black pants, and heavy eye makeup. It was a bit cartoonish, but I liked it.
I start my next sketch. Who knows? I could be drawing Lydia Deetz, or some vampire oc. But before I realized it, the drawing resembled Kevin. I wish I could talk to him right now. He's probably the second nicest person I've met. First being my sister.
I'd known he existed since 6th grade, but I never really paid too much mind to him. There was a bit of controversy in the school about him being transgender. I felt bad for him, and I kinda wanted to help him, but eventually forgot about the whole ordeal.
Until he stood up against Carmen for me. He practically put his life on the line for me, someone he's never even spoken to.
Something that did stick with me from the whole Kevin being transgender controversy was me struggling with my identity too. I mean, I knew I wasn't a girl. I've never felt like a girl. I've always been a boy. But part of me didn't really feel like a guy or a girl. Like I'm a half-boy. I'm not sure exactly what it's called.
I always knew I liked guys. My first crush was a boy in my kindergarten class who was just as obsessed with Halloween as I was. I've told my sister and an old friend about it, but that's all. I guess the old friend spread it around school and I'm now a prime target.
And I haven't told anybody about my gender crisis.
But now I actually have someone to talk to about it. I'm nervous Evelyn won't understand, and my parents are out of the question. They're already on edge about the fact I'm autistic, if I mention that I'm a gay half-boy, they might put me on the streets. They're extremely conservative, if I'm not up to their high standards, I'm dirt to them. And me being everything that I am, I can tell that they'd rather me be dead than me being me if they ever learned everything true about me.
I wished I could open up to them. I mean, I'm kinda stuck with them at least until I'm 18. But they never listen. They never even try. So I spend most of my time with Evelyn. She's more like a really close parent than a sister. We're kinda like Rory and Lorelai in Gilmore Girls. I've only really seen season one, but I've liked it so far.
But we're close, anywho. She's 18, and a senior at the exact high school I've attended since the beginning of the year. But we don't see each other often there. So I've been rather lonely.