Split Decisions

Dan had been assigned to iron and ballast trains to be put towards new parts and rail work. Dan didn't mind the trips, he got to explore more of his world, and he enjoyed it. At the mines, there is a small tender engine. He is a 2-4-0 engine from America, and is the lone engine that works here. Dan saw the engine and looked shocked. "Wow! Hello there!" "Hello there." He said, as a worker popped a cigarette in his mouth. "I'm Dan, what's your name?" "No. 1, that's what they call me." Dan was shocked. "That's no name! Come now, we should give you one, I'll sleep in that siding and we can think tonight!" Said Dan with a smile. "Alright, see you tonight." The engine said as he puffed off to collect some trucks.

Now this mine didn't have a yard at the time, so engines had to bring trucks from a nearby yards to this mine to be filled. Also, there was a dumping area where you had to shunt trucks as there wasn't a hopper there either. It was less expensive though. Dan had some trucks he was shunting Into the main area for inspection. It was night time, so Dan had trouble seeing as well as his crew. "Hey, is the points set, DD?" Asked Mia. "Uh, I think?" Said DD. Suddenly, they heard the smashing of wood and screeching metal! "What was that?!" Ask Dan, and the crew went to inspect. Surely enough, some trucks had come off the line. "Well, that answers that, but how did it happen?" Asked DD as he scratched his chin. "I think I found the answer, come over here." Said Mia. DD looked and saw some springs in the points had failed. "Well, that puts an end to that!" Suddenly, they heard something that was normal, but realization had set in quickly. An American whistle blew loudly and they could hear chuffing getting closer and closer! Suddenly, No.1 screamed! "WHAT'S THAT?! OH WHAT IS THAT?!" The crews went over to inspect. "It's just the wise old owl!" Said his driver. "T-the wise ol' owl?" He said quivering. "Yeah, a bird of fate, here to protect everyone on this island!" Said his fireman.

The Forman walked up to them, "What the hell is goin' on here?!" He yelled at Mia and DD, "you're blocking the dumping' line!" He had a very thick accent with a cigar in his mouth. "We're sorry sir, we couldn't see, but we also did t know that the points failed!" Said Dan, covering for them. "Hmph, okay then, put these trucks back on the line and go to the siding.

Dan was able to rerail the trucks which weren't damaged, well, besides some paint scratches. Dan then went to siding, No.1 sat next to him, "How about Night Owl?" Started Dan, "You were saved by The Wise Old Owl and they only come out at night, so Night Owl!" No.1 sat for a moment in silence, "Yes, I like that." Said Night Owl after a while. "Great! Now Goodnight then, Night Owl." "Goodnight Dan." After that, the two fell asleep, and The Wise Old Owl flew overhead, watching the two engines.