THE OTHER BROTHER

CHAPTER 3  

SKHOSANE  

He woke up feeling beyond weary. He stretches himself and yawns as he steps out of his bed. He makes the bed and options for brushing his teeth. His mother – is somewhere in the house. He wishes not to see her today. The plan was to vanish out of this house without being seen. He tips toes to the kitchen and the woman is not in sight. He quickly pours the water into the kettle and hurries out to get ahold of the bathing basin. He likes his water lukewarm. He doesn’t wait for the water to boil. He switches the kettle off and pours water into the basin. Adding tap water on top. He rushes to his bedroom to have a quick bath... 

Everything is done in a hurry. Once again, he tips toes with the basin in his hand to dispose of the water. There is no need for him to go back to the house. He has everything he needs in his pocket. The last money he had was a hundred rand - he will buy something nice for Khanyisile as he promised her yesterday. He knows she would appreciate every effort he makes. That is one thing he loves about her.  

Arriving at the hospital – he finds the man that knocked Khanyisile down with his car. He looks at her room and every corner are filled with flowers and balloons.  

“You didn’t have to buy me all this stuff. But thank you.” She says to the man. Skhosane looks at the black packet he is carrying. Just a packet of chips and a slab of chocolate. The mad bought her the whole shop. He so badly wants to turn and walk aways, but Khanyisile catches him before he can even turn.  

“Babe.” She calls out for him. His heart beats against his chest. He hides the no name black packet behind hind and swallows.  

“I will be waiting for your parents' call. I will be leaving in two days. It’s a must that I get to meet them and talk to them.” The man says and Khanyisile nods her head. “Remember to call me if you need anything.”  

“Okay.” Khanyisile.  

“Sure.” He greets me and walks past me. His cologne makes me want to puke. Maybe it’s the envy I have, I have never smelled this expensive. Khanyisile – her eyes twinkle when she looks at me. Guilt takes over.  

“How are you doing today?” I ask. The plastic is still tucked behind me.  

“Now that you are here, I will be fine.” She smiles. My eyes drop on the brand-new phone and the new glasses that are on top of the bed. I felt my heart shudder in pieces. Another man replaced her belongings and I failed.  

“What did you bring for me?” she asks, making me swallow in shame.  

“I got held up... I forgot the money at home.” I stutter. Shit! 

“Haha, very funny. I saw the packet you are hiding behind you.” She says it makes my heart to bet abnormally insane. “Bring what is mine to me Mr.” I have no other choice but to give her what she wants. She opens the packet and smiles.  

“I'm glad you still remember what I love.” She starts with the Kit Kat chocolate first. 

“Do...do you love it?” I ask.  

“You have no idea - I have been craving for these.” She throws another piece in her mouth and my heart jumps on top of the roof. At least she loves what I bought.  

“Yazi, I dreamt about you getting married.” She laughs but my hearts sink down to my stomach. Awkwardly, I laugh.  

“You are crazy. Marriage means death.” I tell her.