THE OTHER BROTHER

THE OTHER BROTHER 
CHAPTER 61
MKHULEKO 

I made it clear that he should call me when he gets home. I swear this boy wants me to grow grey hair. It’s in the middle of the night and I am unable to get hold of him. I can't call mother – she is good as dead. We are here because of her. I have no choice but to call Khanyi. 
I am sure she is fast asleep wherever she is. This is the fifth time I am trying. 
“Halo.” Her sleepy voice awakens the sleeping men inside of me. My voice seems to be blocked away. 
“Halo.” She repeats. She sounds awake now. I still haven’t said anything. I am just shocked to hear her voice after so many years. “Mthakathi!” She hisses and drops the line. I haven't heard that voice in five years. I close my eyes trying to recollect myself. I am out of options. I don’t want to be a burden on Manqoba. I am sure he is with his wife. But trying will be worth it. 
His phone rings once – he sounds wide awake. 
“At this time? Are you a witch now?” He asks. If there was no matter at hand I would have laughed. But not today. 
“Bro, I need your help.” 
“Anything.” I hear some shuffling in the background. “Speak.” 
“Mkhuseli was here, and he spoke in riddles that did not make any sense. Now, I am unable to...”
“I will track his car. Don’t worry.” 
He drops the call and promises to get back to me. Mkhuseli doesn't know that his car has a tracker, it was just for security reasons. With the life I lived – I wanted to protect him at all costs. 
Manqoba calls back within the blink of an eye. 
“I am finding his last location. I am going there now. The car hasn’t been for the past five hours.” I hope he is safe wherever he is. The way he spoke – as if he is someone who is leaving this earth. That doesn’t sit well with me. A cold shiver runs through me. I had this feeling when I lost my father. Fear kicks in. I can't lose Mkhuseli too. Not my only brother. My heart stops beating.  No, it can't be. I stand up. My knees are wobbly. I shake my head no. I wish I could call Manqoba and ask him how far. The wait is killing me.

_
_

It’s morning and the sun is up. Manqoba hasn’t called me nor sent a text message. I want to call his wife, but I don’t want to scare her. I hate to be in the dark. The gate opens. The squeaky sound annoys me. Can’t I be left alone!
“I told you that this day will come.” The warden says smiling. 
I am laying on the single bed bunk looking up at the ceiling. minding my own business. 
“Your good behavior is doing good on your favor.” He adds. The makes me to give him my time. I look at him and he still has that look on his face. “Amazulu avumule.” 
My breath takes a hiccup breaks. “I am happy for you. I don’t want to see you back here.” He tells and walks out. What did Mkhuseli do? I swear I will kill him before... My phone rings. Only now that he decides to call me. 
“Where the hell have you been?” I hiss. He keeps quiet. “Manqoba!” 
“We lost him.” 
I stand up. “Who?” 
“Mkhuseli. He was involved in a car accident; the truck ran over him with him inside the car and we lost him. It was bad – he couldn’t have been saved. I’m sorry.” 
I shut my eyes. I suspected but I didn't want to think otherwise. But here we are facing the music. My brother is gone. 
“Where is he now?” I ask. I honestly don't know how to feel. 
“At the morgue.” 
My brother is no more, I am having a hard time accepting it. Cynthia has done the worst and the most. I take a deep breath. “Does Khanyi know?”
“She hasn’t been told. Already she is stressing that she is unable to reach him.” 
This is what I hate. For her to be stressing over something. I still care for her. She still lives in my heart and in me.

Later that day I am being summoned. Everyone in here is all smiles. I don’t know if seeing a prisoner excites one. I pull the chair and sit down with my hands crossed against my chest. 
“Why am I here?’ I ask. The warden who came earlier to my cells smiles widely. 
“I am so proud of you.” He adds leaving me confused. How does one get to be proud of another when they are locked up for the crimes they committed. This sounds stupid to my ears.  
“As you all know – Zikode has been a great example to other prisoners. The court has decided to let him go because of good behavior. We do not want to see you back here.” 
I just stare at them and don’t respond. If this is a joke to them...
“You can go take your belongings where you left them. Sign here.” Just like that a paper is pushed in front of me. With black pen on the side of it. I read through it and indeed...