THE OTHER BROTHER

THE OTHER BROTHER
CHAPTER 52
NGCOBO

He looks at his hands. He has surely lost weight. He takes a deep breath and closes his eyes sharply. Definitely something he didn't imagine. Seeing Dumisa had escalated the matter to the worst. Him spitting that they are from the same father really opened a whole lot of worms in him. The hate for his brother all these year's was all for nothing! He hated his own blood.
Sigh! Life is throwing stones at me. Ever heard when life give you lemon. That's the situation I'm swimming in.
"Tata. You have a visitor." The warden shouts. We are outside under the scouting sun. I stand up and and follow him behind. Thankfully today I don't have any stackles surrounding my ankels. A huge smile spreads across my face. The woman that never gave up on me even when I was ready to toss her aside like she never mattered.
"Nkosikazi." She shyly smiles looking at me.
"Baba. How are they treating you in here?" She asks scanning hre eyes around.
"I'm surviving." I lie. I don't wan to scare her. I look at MaNgcobo and I can tell that the outside life is treating her good. I shamefully smile.
What else can I say. "I am still breathing and living within these walls. You look good.” I compliment her. Her smile on her face slowly fades away. 
"I don’t even know where to begin.” She tells me. I feel my heart drumming rapidly against my chest to a point of almost coming out. My ears listen attentively. "Your brother offered me a job at the bakery. Gave our old house back and he transferred the house under our names. Ow he also gave our cars back.”
I look at her in shock. "What are you talking about?" There is no way in hell that Dumisa will just do that without asking anything in return. I smell something fishy in all this. 
"He said he wants his family to be one. He said something about a second chance in life."
I nod my head in understanding. What is he up to? Is this another trick of him wanting to take my only wife for revenge. Yes, I know I have wronged him on so many levels. He now has everything that belongs to him. I am behind bars. What more does he want from me? He can't kick an already down dog right now. It would be very pathetic of him. 
"He is also willing to give you the farm if you are willing to co-operate in working with him. Look Baba, I have also apologized for my wrong doings. The least we could do is meet your brother halfway. That man doesn’t hold any grudges. The kids have forgiven me, and they still call me mah. You have no idea how much that means to me. God never gave me of my own, but he had a plan for me." She sniffs. I take a deep breath struggling to breathe and lean against the table. What is Dumisa up to exactly? I know for a fact that he does not have the heart of the cold like I do. 
"I will give him a call later." I promise to. Never in my wildest dreams have I ever though that my brother will do good toward the man that made his life a leaving hell. I took his source of happiness away from him. Not only did I take his source of happiness. I also took his kids, made them mine but still I failed. 
"I bought you some stuffs...''

-

-

-

I am anticipating whether to call him or not. MaNgcobo gave me his number. The whole day I have been pacing up and down for no good reason.  One of my inmates who has connections to the outside world has lent me his phone. It’s funny how everyone has decided to turn their back on me when I need them the most. But maybe this is a sign. I will ask MaNgcoo to top up the airtime I will be using. I look at the piece of paper in my hand and shake in fear. I am getting cold feet suddenly. 
"Are you scared?” His question is followed by a chuck. 
"You have no idea. I feel like I was clouded by anger for sweet nothing without knowing the truth and past of it." That is the truth. I believed that my mother favored Dumisa more resulting for the hate.  If only I allowed time. Maybe I would have understood. 
"Let me tell you something. A brother is a friend with whom we share our food, childhood, and uncountable memories with. A brother that will always be there for you at your lowest. Yes, you may fight physically or with words but at the end of the day you guys make up. That’s what every sibling goes through.”
I understand him clearly but that is not the case at the moment, I am facing beyond of what he thinks. 
“I have done worse in this situation. That is why I am here.”
“Nothing is never too late to be fixed. Yes, the relationship will not be the same. There will be a lack of trust but all in all you need to do this for yourself and for your kids if you guys have any.”
He has a point. I took a deep and look at the phone in my hand. I need to fix our relationship with the person I call my brother. I was the one who wronged him in the first place. 
His phone is ringing and sending me straight to voicemail afterwards. I try again and same story.
“In a meeting will call you back.” I read through the text he sent. I sigh out of relief. At least this will give me time to rehearse what I want to tell him. What I want to share with him.