THE OTHER BROTHER

THE OTHER BROTHER 
CHAPTER 20

“You didn’t leave with your parents?” I ask Thabi who has been keeping a very close eye on me. After the scandal that happened this morning - I decided to lock myself up in my bedroom all morning. Not ready to face anyone after what that mother of mines did. I don’t know who gave her the obesity to lay her hands on me. I can't wait to be out of their hair and be independent. I swear I will only see them twice a year, vele I know I will not be missed. 
“No. Where were you last night?” She decides to ignore my question. I can bet she is not going home. I wonder which man she is seeing now. My sister never runs out of options that I know. 
“I told you. I went out. I just wanted to be away from home.” 
“Hmmm, I see. And the walk?’ 
Can this girl just leave me the hell alone already. I look at her with a murderous look. She is not moved. I see. 
“You don’t scare me. Tell me. I will not leave this room until you share the details.” 
“Okay, okay. Fine! My kitten got laid last night.” 
The shock on her face will send me straight to ICU. Is she judging me? 
“You lie!” She seems more excited than she should be. Who gets excited over their sister getting laid? “Who is the guy?” 
“Remember when we were in town – basically it’s you that forced me to go see that stupid boot dance, whatever you call it.” 
“I remember. How can I forget that hottie.” She wiggles her eyebrows. 
“He has been released. And ya, the rest is history.” 
“Wenana.” She claps her hands once and shakes her head. “So, finally you got some.” She stands up and walks put. She can be annoying at times. I can hear her stupid laugh along the passage. 
My phone rings from somewhere. It's on top of the chair. Lazy to wake up from the bed – I use my foot to drag it towards the bed. It is a number I do not recognize. 
“Hallo.” 
“Light. I am here.” 
I feel butterflies in my stomach. I look outside the window and indeed the man is right at the gate. If my grandmother could see him. She will defiantly feast on him. I slowly get off the bed, put my flip flops on and walk out. I bumped into my grandma – the shame in me. I am still wearing yesterday's clothes. The smell of him still hovers in these clothes. Smelling him makes me feel close to him. 
“WeKhanyisile.” She walks past me. That name calling has a but in it. I think it’s time I head back home. I've caused enough drama. A lot happened. With Babana getting shot and with me breaking off my virginity. My mother physically attacked me. That is a lot for one person who is happy. 
“You came.” I say. Honestly, I still find it hard to believe that this man is truly mines. Manqoba is not around. I wonder where he could be. I miss his company and his crazy self. That man can lie for the whole nation. 
“I keep my promises.” He replies stepping out of the car. He is so tall. We stare at each other with no words being exchanged. “Shall we? I must be in Durban this afternoon.” 
I feel a pinch of hurt. Yes, he told me that he has some business to take care of but him rubbing it in my face hurts at its peak. He helps me settle in the passenger's seat. I claim to love cars – but this is a beast. My butt is in a blind machine. 
“You good?”
“Just heartbroken that you will be away.” I respond. That smile. Lord have mercy on me. 
“It’s just for a few days Toti. I will be just a phone call away.” He drives off.
“So now I have a pet name?’ I did not get the memo.
“Wil tell you about this name someday. Actually on our wedding day.” 
Is he not forward? I decided to let him be. Whatever the name means hope it has a good meaning to it. I can't be called Totolozi. 

-

-

-

Admiring my brand-new phone. It has already been bought and I just can’t get enough of it. I keep upgrading to a better version. The picture quality is good, and I love every minute of it. 
“You seem exited.” One of the girls say. We are in some stupid warehouse. Mkhuleko has some important meetings to get down to and it was urgent as he was needed there. I don’t feel safe being around strangers. But this time around it feels different. I have my dark shades on so no one will notice my disability. With one leg crossed on top of the other...
“About?” I ask. Maybe I am missing the memo who knows. 
“You and the big guy. We have seen a lot of them, including myself. He will discard you like he did to the rest of us.” 
The laughter is just annoying me. Behaving like a bunch of high school girls. I continue to scroll on my phone minding my business. The room becomes silent when Mkhuleko walks in. 
“Babe, let's go.” He says with his eyes fixed on me. He holds my hand, helps me stand. He leads the way - but I stop on my tacks and turn to face them. 
“It’s not like he was going to marry you and stuff.’ I say shrugging my shoulders. I feel good after saying that. I always wanted to use that line after seeing it on fakebook. God really answered my prayer sooner than expected.
“What was that about?” he asks with a huge smile plastered on his face. 
“I just needed to say that to that stupid pussy of yours.” 
He chucks and smiles even wider. 
“That happened ages ago and trust me nothing will ever lead me back to that place ever again. I have you now. I am all set.” Feels good having that reassurance.