THE OTHER BROTHER

THE OTHER BROTHER 
CHAPTER 26
SKHOSANE

A whole fucken hour! The wait is really killing me here. I am just thinking about my child that she is carrying in her womb.  Coffee is starting to have that bitter taste in my mouth. This is my third cup within an hour. I can feel my heart beating abnormally. This is what happens when I drink too much caffeine.
“Too much caffeine is not good for your system.” 
Says a father who failed to even see that his daughter has been missing. He can't stand there and tells me shit! I will not entertain him. My main worry is - the people that are inside the ward with numerous doctors. 
“I think he should drink water.” 
It's funny how these two see their parenting care skill on me but failed to do it on their own kids. Just a simple task of showing them love and care they fail dismally. I will never let my kids down no matter what. My father has nothing, but he makes sure that we get to have everything that me and my brother need. It’s true when they say rich parents are good at flaunting money but fail to show love. They believe the ‘money language’ is enough love for their kids. No wonder these rich kids result to drugs and alcohol. They lack home love. 
“Shouldn't you be worried about the people who are inside?” 
I direct my question to them. I see their eyes lurking around trying to hide the shame. They can pretend they want but the truth still stands. These two just don’t love their children and they are just as fucken useless. 
“I...” 
I am saved by the doctor making his way towards us. I swear – if Ngcobo continued spitting venom. I would have dealt with him in the most crucial way. A way he wouldn’t even believe in, in the first place. I am done and tired playing nice with these folks. 
“Thabisile Ngcobo?” 
I so want to jerk in and correct him. But that shall wait. For now, it’s the least of my worries. 
“My is my daughter okay?” Ngcobo asks. 
“They are out of danger. Good thing you brought them right in time. We managed to pump the poisonous substance out of her system.”
I sigh in relief. 
“So, my baby is, okay?” I want to be assured in every possible.
“The baby is fine.” 
That is all I want. Assurance. “Can I go see them?” 
“Just for fifteen minutes. She still needs time to rest. Her body is still weak and tired. You can go see her.” It's like I am being chased by a swarm of bees. Reaching her ward, I find her peacefully sleeping with machines attached to her. Not the machines that go through your lungs. Just a drip and the mobilizer. 
“Thabi.”
She lazily opens her eyes and briefly smiles. I take her hand and hold it firmly. I don’t even know what to say. I know she is hurt but taking her own life is not the go. I will need to have a word with her once she is well and kicking. Maybe keeping her close to me will let me monitor her every move. And besides her parents are as good as dead. Look at them following each other like some pack of ducks. 
“How is she?” Ngcobo. 
“She is asleep. I haven't asked her anything.” I respond. The old man takes a deep breathe and shoves his hands in his pockets. Her mother on the other hand has been quiet since. I can bet that this woman never really gave birth to the girls. 
“I will be outside.” Just like she walks out. Zero care in her. I look at her directly in her eyes. 
“You don’t care about them, do you?’ 
“Who?’ She asks. Look at her looking all confused. 
“I am talking about the girls. Your daughter is here, lying on the hospital bed. You heard the doctor very well, but you are even failing to even pretend to at least care. Wat kind of a mother are you?” To say I am disappointed would be an understatement. 
“Watch your mouth boy. This is my wife that you are talking to like that.” The father warns. He can take the warning of his and shove it where the sun doesn’t shine.  I click my tongue and shift my focus to Thabi. She is sweating...

-

-

-

I decided to spend a couple more seconds at the hospital. Seconds turned into minutes. Until hours passed – my human structure is still occupying the premises of the hospital. I decided to go out for a walk. My back hurts, my neck is stiff. I will need a rub after this. A treat maybe. I have been working my butt off to raise enough funds to start from the ground. I know my parents would appreciate it if I could renovate our shack and make it a home. And soon there will be a mini me running around. I am looking at every parent walking in and out of the hospital. Some for delivery and some being discharged. It’s truly a beautiful sight to watch. I wonder if Khanyi would have been happy to carry my mini me. 
It's a whole new adventure, scary at that. It's an amazing feeling to know that my family will be complete. My mother always wanted to be a grandmother – this has just kept her smiling ever since she heard the news. I am thinking of the best way to reach and maintain my success as a parent. I do know that it is to be connected and engaged in the life of my child. I'll have the permanent title of ‘dad’ and it'll be a career I will never retire from. Fatherhood is an immense responsibility. But having said that, there are no rule book or instructions on how to do so. My thoughts are swimming in every direction. It must be the happiness in me. I smile seeing a woman carrying her newborn in her arms. Protecting her little cub. I should go checkup on Thabi before I go marbles.