THE OTHER BROTHER

THE OTHER BROTHER
CHAPTER 15
DUMISA

He looks at the clueless Khanyisile and smiles She surely looks like her mother even when upset. His heart is at ease but not fully. Thabisile is not here - it would have been more exhaustive. The fact that she is here right in front of his eyes means a lot to him. Girl is still upset about the mongoose. He was just being a father gifting his little one with a present. He did not know it would backfire.
“I promise to do better next time.” He says following her around the kitchen. She is beyond upset or embarrassed. “I will buy you those magwinya’s that you love the most.’ He adds but all seems to fall into deaf ears. He sighs sadly and decides to step out. Maybe he overstepped. He finds Manqoba sleeping in the car. He decides to knock on the window. Manqoba wakes up and decides to open the door instead.
“Madala.” He greets. He steps out of the car and stretches himself. At least there is a man, he can share things with and have a mans talk. “Is everything all right? What happened to the Mongoose?” He takes a deep breath and leans against the car.
“She did not like it. And now she is upset with me.”
“Did you try talking to her maybe?” Manqoba.
“I did countless times, but she just turns to look on the side with her tiny nose flared.” He is hurt. All he ever wanted was to make his daughter feel welcomed and special.
“Then try buying her something else.” Manqoba suggests.
“What is that? What does she like the most?”
“Take her to your workplace. Let her live your life a little. Maybe, just maybe it will make her happy.” Now that is the brightest idea that Manqoba has presented. The smile on Dumisa’a face cannot be unmatched with anything. He thanks Manqoba and walks back into the house. He finds his mother in the kitchen making tea. Who makes tea under this blazing heat?
“Don’t confuse the child Dumisa Everything has its own timing.” Right now, he does not care what his mother thinks. The most important thing is to make his daughter Khanyisile smiling again. He walks along the passage – she must be in her room. Indeed, he finds her curled on the bed with a brown teddy bear next to her. He sits on the bed and get a hold of her hand.
“I’m sorry that I failed in giving the most expensive gift. Its what I could afford.” He speaks from the heart. She lifts her head up and looks at him. She seems a bit down. Compared to what she was a few minutes ago. She shows a brief smile and sits up straight.
“I am not mad or angry at you. It’s the emotions that got hold of me. I thought of my father who is failing to do what you do. I don’t want the world from my father. But his love and support will be the best for me. One minute he is loving and caring the next he is cold as ice.”
A bit of relief right. “Are you not happy? With all the money he gives you?”
“ It’s not about the money, but its about the love he was supposed to shower me with. Honestly, he is failing in every possible way. All I want is for him to take me out on dates, ask me if I am fine. Do I need anything. Not some stupid monthly allowance.” He nods his head in understanding. “You know, even my mother has also followed his foot steps and it hurts to the core. I expected a lot from her but lately she has been become distant and cold.” She sighs taking a deep breath.
“I know what will cheer you up. Get up and wear your grandmothers’ boots.” He orders her. Without asking any more questions she gets off the bed and follows him behind.

“Are we there yet?” She asks. She has been asking ever since they left the house. She is very impatient – just like her mother Khanyisa. He clears his throat trying to hide the pain in his heart. He loved that woman more than anything. But he lost her in the most crucial way. Greed!
“Almost there Nana.” He says wrapping his arm around her shoulder. She smiles looking outside the window. He directs Manqoba to the destination. “And we are here.” They all step out of the car. The place looks beautiful. Khanyisile gasps in shock looking at the farm.
“Is this yours?” She asks in excitement.” He wishes he could say yes but they belong to his brother – the one that is filled with so much greed. He wouldn’t want to expose – he was pulled by ear and told to never share any details about these cows. The most heart-breaking part is he doesn’t even get a dime in looking after these stupid stolen cows! He works in the farm but never gets paid. In most cases he depends on his mother’s pension. A disgrace for an old man like him. Not too sure how to respond to the question he decides to smile and look around. This place was once his but he woke up some day and was told that this place now belongs to his brother. A lot has happened. He doesn’t want to dwell on it.
“We should get started. The herd boy’s wild be here any minute.” The smile on Khanyisile’s face has his heart pumping with joy. He hands her the bucket. It’s time to milk the cows.