THE OTHER BROTHER

THE OTHER BROTHER 
CHAPTER 4 
KHANYISILE

I’m being discharged today. Part of me is happy but another part of me is extremely hurt. Me being out of the hospital means I would have to go back to school. And school is something I do not want to face at the moment. It was fun while it lasted, I believe. I face different levels based on the severity of bullying. What I’ve noticed is - most bully-victims are loners or fall at the bottom of the social ladder at school. That’s me. I used to be a loner until Amanda happened. That girl has been my rock for as long as I can remember. 
“Ready to go home? Will pass by and buy more scones for the road.” Thabi says help me off the bed. I don’t know what her obsession with these scones is. My parents couldn't make it. With the companies that they are running it requires them to be hands on all the time.  My parents own a Resort Cottage and a Khanyile Bakery downtown. These two have been the best in the game and they attract a lot of tourists. Well, that was their main goal, to attract tourists to bring in more money. The Resort makes a lot of money than the bakery. A set of values that defines what it means to be in a resort environment. I give it to them – they did a good job on that one. Thabi handles the Lodge on her own and from what I have heard she will need a partner that will help her run it successfully. A second resort will be open soon and the Khanyile Bakery will be closed. It does not bring a lot of money as they thought it would. I should advise them that they should consider baking wedding cakes and stop specializing in scones and cupcakes. Yes, they bake for parties and small events but, yea the income is not flooding in. 
“Yea, but I'm just not okay. I am not ready to go to school.” I whine making her chuck. She doesn’t understand how miserable I get in school. With all the insults weighing out pf that teacher's mouth. 
“Sorry if I sound insensitive about this. I just have no other way of putting it. Your situation is far better than mines. I prefer to be bullied than to marry a man I do not even know.” She pauses and takes the bag that was on top of the table. What in on God’s name is this girl saying to me. I believe it’s some kind of joke. 
“What do you mean by that?” I ask. Hoping for ‘I’m joking’ but she shuts me out.
“Let's not talk about it mntase. I am just heartbroken, but no one sees it or understands. You are in your own old and there are some things that I cannot share with you.” She further explains. I am hurt by her statement. Aren't we not sisters who should die for each other?
“I always thought that you had it and I still believe that you have it. You are working, building your big house somewhere. Earning more of what you should.”
“It comes with a price my sister. Just enjoy that monthly salary.  I am damn sure that they have a husband aligned for you as well.” I feel my heart having palpitations.  She must be joking right? 
“I wouldn’t agree to it.” I say. She raises her eyebrows and looks at me. Her look is unreadable and deadpan. 
“This is life, I will remind you someday. Let's go.” She tells me. My legs weaken. I can't live my life without Skhosane Gumede. That guy has been my happiness for as long as I can remember.  I stop walking and look at her. 
“This is the reason why you needed mothers love and attention?” I ask. Was I truly blind npt to see when my sister needed someone to talk to? 
She sighs in exhaustion. “To tell you the truth. I have known this since I was in matric, and I never paid any attention to it. Until recently when my parents bought that crap up again. Apparently, we went to the same school, but I don’t know the guy. What I know is that the guy is from the Gumede homestead.” She shrugs her shoulders. “I just want my mother to comfort me and tell me that she will talk to my father not to go ahead with this whole thing. But no, she is also pursuing whatever voodoo they agreed on.” 

“The only Gumede I know of is the one that is just down the hill. Skhosane’s family.” 
“Maybe there is another Gumede around, who knows.” 
If there is, we would have known though. I should ask Skhosane if are there any other Gumede’s around the area that he may know of. This is defiantly some fucked ups hit. Now I understand why my sister has suddenly developed this sour side of her. She wasn’t like this when growing up. It’s my parents who have a hand in it. 
“Would you like me to talk to them?” I ask. A lot is happening in that house under my nose, and I am not aware of anything. 
“What change will it make?” 
“I don’t know. But it’s worth a try.” I say. She doesn’t respond but rather quickens the pace, leaving me behind. I assume she is done and dusted talking about it. I'm not going to pressure here. But will always be there whenever she needs a shoulder to cry on.