THE OTHER BROTHER

THE OTHER BROTHER 
CHAPTER 13
MKHUSELI

I have been standing outside her school gate for quite some time now. I look at my wrist watch and I notice that time has passed. It has almost been an hour with me parked outside the gate. I start the engine and reverse. There is no point of me bong here. The security guard is honestly just useless. 
“Sorry.” I see a security guard waving at me. I sigh opening my window. He has been looking at me for the past hour. Now that I am driving off, he decides to stop me. I should report this security for the service he has given me. 
“What is it?” I ask though my greeted teeth. I am honestly annoyed by the fact that I have been in this car for only God knows how long pisses me off. 
“Mnumzana, who are you looking for?” The nerve of him. 
“You should have asked me that way before. I have been parked out here for far too long and not even once have you bothered to ask yourself why.” 
“Eish problem is I was on my lunch.” 
“I was looking for someone - I believe they are in Matric.” I say. I remember her name but not her last name. 
“Name?” 
“Nkanyezi.”
“The guy down the road?” The guard asks and points on to the direction. 
“No.” I sigh remember - I’ve just mentioned a name that is in my heart and only known by me. “Her name is Khanyisile. She tiny, short with long natural hair.” I say. I see the man smile. 
“You mean my Star Light? Eish, she finished writing her exams. She is preparing for varsity now.” He explains. I don’t even know the Star Light he is talking about but I will agree to it. 
“Do you have any idea where she lives?” I ask. 
”Eish, Hade bafo. Her father or sister always pick her up.” I nod my head. Guess I have reached a dead end. I lost her parents contact.  Basically, I lost my phone – doing a swim swap. All numbers did not get to be restored back. I sigh in disappointment. I was really hoping to see her befor going back to going to Durban. There goes my mood being sour. Looking at her brings out the best in me. I am truly exhausted. 

*
*

I stop packing for the business trip. I’m no longer looking forward to it. I had high spirits because I thought that maybe I will be seeing Nkanyezi. I look at the portrait on the wall. This portrait takes me back to...
Taking it down will be the best. I will need to burn this. I take it off the wall and walk out of the rom bumping into my mother along the passage. 
“What is that?” she asks, pointing out at the portrait with her head. 
“That portrait. I just want to get rid of it.” She knows that I haven't healed. She closes her eyes briefly and exhales out loud. 
“I permit you.” she says and blinks away in tears. The wound will always be there. Somethings are just had to forget. 
“We will be fine.” I tell her. She doesn’t respond but rather walks directly to her room. I know she going to read her bible. I know she tried all she could to save us but the devil had the upper hand. I place the portrait on the fire place, sprinkle some paraffin on and lit the matches. I watch the portrait burn in ashes right before me. I should be happy. The pain that was caused should be burning along with the portrait but it still stings inside of me. I sit down on the bench. Sometimes I try so hard to forget but the events but they are just non-forgettable. I look at the fire burning each and every corner of it. I am satisfied but my heart is still heavy. I stand up and walk back into the house finding my mother watching gospel. I sit beside her and put my arm around her neck. 
“Mkhuleko has a new girlfriend.” I tell my mother. Her eyes pop out. One would swear that my brother always brings women around. She should be happy – who knows. Maybe this one will tame him. 
“What happened to that Violet?” She asks. Not that she has anything against that girl. Guess it’s just that she is not feeling her but tolerates her because of her son. 
“She is around.” I say. 
“Tell me about this girl. Does she know that he is in jail for crime and declines for me into seeing him?” Now she wants to spit venom. This woman is dramatic kodwa. 
“I don’t know. The only thing he told me that he is in love and wants to keep this one.”
“Ay, asazi. Hope she will keep him away from crime. He failed to listen to me. Hope she comes with one magic spell. I will die soon and I don’t have any grandchildren. When are you boys getting married?” 
Now she is trying her luck. I can't get married without Mkhuleko getting married first. What will the world say? “Mkhuleko will get married first and I shall follow. He is the oldest” I say. 
“You should go first. Mkhuleko is not serious about life. Soon he will be forty with no kids and no wife. I wonder what happened to that one.” She clicks her tongue and stands up. She mumbles to herself only God knows what until she disappears out of sight. My mother never disappoints when it comes to shouting within herself. I find it very amusing. I stand up too – I am not done with packing. My trip is just hours away and I am so damn tired...