THE OTHER BROTHER

THE OTHER BROTHER 
CHAPTER 63
MKHULEKO

The day I have been prolonging for days now. I am here to see my mother. No one knows of me being released. My mother will be surprised to see me. I am pleased with the court to not release a statement of me being released out of prison. That is for safety reasons. Part of me is excited and another part of me is totally angry with her. She made my brother suffer and she cared less. 
“Are you sure you will be, okay?” Manqoba asks me. I need him just in case I decide to kill the woman. 
“Just come with me. I need you.” I say. We step out of the care. Looks like everyone is here. I am wearing a hoody – I don’t want anyone stepping at me outside the yard to ask me stupid questions. The yard is packed making my body shiver in fear. Reality kicks in. Indeed, I have lost my brother and he is no longer coming back. My mother is sitting on the mattress with her head bowed down. 
“Mah.” She lifts her head up. Tears glister in her eyes as everyone stares back at me. Some are shocked to see me and are happy. I kneeled in front of her. 
“How are you?’ I ask. 
She takes a deep sigh. Her lips quiver. “I failed him. All he ever wanted was for me to accept him.”
“Try to appreciate those memories that you had.” 
She shakes her head no. “It is not enough. I want him here.” 
His body was meant to be released from the morgue today. That is why I came home. Today is the day that is called umlindelo. A period of sleeplessness – where we finally pay our last moment with him. We get to share the memories that they had. Baba Omncane comes in followed by other family members. They are all dressed up. I believe it’s that time. 
“Ndodane.” He is pleased to see me. I see a huge relief in his eyes. I stand up and offer a handshake, but he pulls
me into a hug. 
“It’s time to go fetch your brother’s spirit where the accident happened. You cannot come along. You need to be cleansed first before seeing his corpse. Removing all the bad energy around you and preventing you from going back to jail.” 
Makes sense. I agree with him. “Makhosonke will be left behind and prepare the ritual. When we come back – your brother's spirit will need to find you clean.” Makhosonke is my father's youngest brother's father. He whispers to my mother, and she agrees to whatever she is being told. My heart is rambling in fear. Fear of seeing my brother's corpse. This is not how I envisioned our goodbyes to each other. Maybe if I was there for him more – maybe all of this wouldn’t have happened. He would have been still alive and happy. I would have let him be and be in love with the woman of his dreams. 

A black substance is smeared all over my body. I am carrying a black chicken. It’s in the middle of the day in broad daylight. 
“I want you to walk into that water with the chicken you are carrying. Make sure you wash this substance off you and throw the chicken deep into the river. When you come out – make sure you do not look back. Ask no questions.” 
I have no option to do what I am told. The water feels cold. This old man is looking at me butt naked. I am sure my father's not pleased wherever he is. I am deep in the river scrubbing myself. Singing a thousand hamba moya omumbi. Hamba moya omumbi. Once I am certain that body has been washed off. I feel a huge wave being lifted off me. I close my eyes and listen to my body float. The chicken is stil very much alive. I throw it deep in the river with my eyes still closed. This is it. I am not looking back. I step out of the river. I feel a towel being wrapped around my watse. I open my eyes and find Makhosane looking at me. 
“We shall go home.” 
“Is everything alright.” He ignores me and rushes to the car. Guess I will have to find out when I reach home. 
I threw myself in the back seat. He has bought me new clothes from the box. I feel like a brand-new person. 
“How did it go?” Manqoba also came along. He has been stifling his laugh all along. I just glared at him and continued wearing my clothes. If he continues being a nuisance – I swear I will break his bones. Manqoba is driving us. I look outside the window and think of my next move. Do I take over the company or do I just start mines from scratch? We arrive at home and the men are back. They have something which is called Ihlahla – but it has been abandoned outside the gate. 
“What’s going on?” I ask. Manqoba parks the car. I immedicably step out. 
“Baba. What is going on?” 
No one is responding. A car drive through. My heart skips a beat seeing Khanyi’s father stepping out of the car. I pray that he did not come with her. Thankfully he is alone. Our eyes meet. I see a smile creep up on his face. My heart relaxes. He is not mad at me. 
“Mkhwenyana.” We shake hands. “It’s good to see you out.” He adds. 
“It’s good to be out.” I respond.
Dumisa looks Makhosane. I know something is not right. It might be Toti.
“Men. We have a matter at hand.” 
I feel the air thicken. They decided to go to the rondoval to talk. Out of respect we are seated on the reed mats. 
“Makoti hasn’t been told right?” Makhosane. 
“No. But it's hard to keep this secret away from her. Each that comes is a struggle. We try so hard to keep her out of the world. Today – their wedding photos scattered. And this is not the first time - from what I've heard. This is not a good sign. A wedding picture can't just break.” Dumisa. 
“And the boy refused to come home.” 
“What do you mean he refused to come home?" I ask. 
Makhosne takes a deep breath. “He wants to be buried after the wedding and not before.” 
“I don’t understand. How will a wedding proceed without the groom?” Dumisa. 
“There is a groom. This is what his brother wants. And there is nothing that can be done.” 
Makhosne. I sometimes forget that he has some sort of calling. 
“And who is that groom if I may ask?’ Dumisa asks. 
Everyone keeps quiet. All eyes are on Makhosane. Makhosane is looking directly at me. 
“Me!” This is ridiculous. 
“Unfortunately, his word is final.”
I stand up and leave them seated. I can't come out of jail just to be told that I am supposed to fill my brother's shoes. 
What about what I want? 
“Take me out of her.” I say getting in the car closing the door harshly. He asks no questions. He starts the car the car will start. He tries again but looks like it’s jammed somewhere. 
“This car was last serviced two weeks ago.” Manqoba complains. He tries again but still no movements. I angrily step out of the car ready to push it. A stupid old Honda stands behind Manqoba’s car. My eyes are deceiving me. I seethe my teeth trying to control my anger. What in God’s name is this man doing here?
He walks right past me without greeting me. Makhosane stops him and tells him that he is not allowed into the main house. Surves him right. 
“I am here to pay my rest to my son.”
Makhosana chucks. “And your son's body refuses to come home.” 
Ngcobo frowns. He should stop doing this. He ages – if there is such. 
“This is not his home. He is a Ngcobo by blood.” 
“What do you mean by blood? Is this not his home where he grew up in?” Dumisa. This is a fucked-up situation. 
“But he needs to be buried where his blood line runs.” 
This is becoming heated. “Over my dead body! You can't rock up and claim my deceased son.” My mother screams. Where did she come from. 
“But he is my son too.” Ngcobo screams back. This is becoming a war zone. I decided to step in. 
“Can we please respect my brother. I know he is no more talking for himself. But a little respect will do.”
Everyone keeps quiet. They must not bullshit me. “Can you all talk like civilized people and not quarrel.” 
They all keep quiet. Baba Omncane comes looking mad. He points out Ngcobo in the face. 
“We are all here because of you! If our son had known earlier. There wouldn't be death on this household. We would still have Mkhuseli alive and kicking. My son...” He chocks but maintains himself. He has been trying to act strong ever since I came this morning. “Mkhuselki wouldn't married his cousin! Wake wawezwaphi amanyala anje!” 
“That is why I am here to rectify my mistake. I was not a present father. At least let me be there for his burial.” 
The might Ngcobo pleading. Is he crying? I swear the heavens are smiling on me. I smile with a smirk on my face. If only my phone was with me, I would have taken a shot for future reference. 
Makhosane speaks - “as we have discussed. The wedding shall continue before the burial.” 
“What wedding?” Ngcobo. 
Makhosane takes a deep breath. “Mkhuseli refused for his spirit to be fetched. He wants the wedding to proceed, and he wants to be buried after. It’s out of our control. It's what he wants and unfortunately, we cannot dispute that.” 
I see Ngcobo nose flaring in the air. They have him where I want him to. He scoffs in disbelief. “They cannot proceed without a groom!” 
“You are actually at the groom.” I chirp in annoying him more. 
“Not when I am still alive.” 
“Trust me it will happen. Khanyi is not your daughter.” I remind him. His chest is rising up and down. 
He looks at me briefly and walks past me. I wonder what is running through that thick head of his.