THE OTHER BROTHER

THE OTHER BROTHER 
CHAPTER 23
KHANYISILE

“How are you doing today?” I ask Banana. 
After him being shot. I felt my world crumbling down to its worst. Luckily Manqoba and the stranger were there to lift me up. I remember how I would lock myself in the bedroom the whole day without food. Did my parents care? No. They gave zero fucks about my well-being. I have come to terms with accepting that I am not their daughter, and I am done trying to pretend like they are my parents. There has been a time where I got to ask myself if they are really my parents or was, I adopted. Whoever needs me will know where to find me.  The day I confirmed that I passed my matric – well I tried. It was not as good as I had wished. But it’s better than nothing. I wasted no time in packing in whatever shit that belongs to me. The audacity of my so cold parents refusing to drive me to Durban. Then having to explain themselves of having a busy schedule. I only just wanted a few hours of their time not the whole day. I wanted them to see that I am safe where I am left. I wanted them to know where to find me if they decided to come by. If it was not for Mkhuleko and Manqoba – I don’t know what would have happened of me. It has been two peaceful months and in those two periods of months no contact has been made. Even Thabi is avoiding me. I ended up giving up honestly. I got tired of following people around. I am slowly growing this wall around my heart. I only let in whoever wants to be in my heart. Amanda. Still close friends and I am happy to announce that we attend the same varsity. Studying the same course. It was not her choice, but her credit score led her to Business Management. She comes around from time to time as well. She lives full time in Res. 
“I want some sunshine today.” He tells me. I feel my heart dancing a multimillion dance. I wasted no time and called for Gugu to come assist in taking my father out for a walk. I am grateful for Mkhuleko for getting my father a Power wheelchair. He can control the wheelchair on his own around the house. It's no longer that bad but he needs help here and there.

We are outside and it feels good to be out with him. He is looking around and I notice that he is edgy. Scrolling down the road, he stops his wheelchair. I spot someone from back home. He has his back turned against us. And I can tell that – that man is one of my father's workers. I wonder what he is doing in Durban. 
“I think we should go back. I don’t feel safe.” My father suggests. I am glad he is not the only one who has that feeling. 
“Yea, I am also having an uneasy feeling.” I tell him. He reverses his wheelchair, and we go back. We will go out once Mkhuleko and Manqoba are back from whatever business meeting they are in. I have that shooting practice later with the girls. At first, I hated shooting but now I seem to be enjoying each and every bit of it. It helps me release all the anger I have in me. With just one look on the head, I empty the bullets on the shooting targets. 
“No classes today?” He asks. He still runs out of breath when he talks for a long time.
“No. But I have some shooting lessons later on.” 
“Don't kill me.” He jokes. I laugh out loud. Even if I tried to. He would be the last person to shoot in this world. 
“I would never. No matter how badly you have wronged me.” The warmth in his eyes assures me that with him I am everything. This man would kill for me, and I feel safer around him. 
“Let's call grand ma.” I say grabbing a phone Mkhuleko gave me. It’s a phone that is designed to only call three numbers. Grandma, Manqoba and Mkhuleko. She is not picking up. I try for the second time and this time around she picks it up. The enthusiasm in her voice sends a tingling sensation to my body. This woman is always happy and ready to talk to us. 
“How is my son doing?” She asks. I decided to step aside and let them have adult conversation. I will make myself some cereal while I wait for the team to come by. I will need to make some food for Dad before I leave. 
“There is some guy looking for you.” Gugu says approaching the kitchen. I frown looking at her. Who could that be? As far as I know I only scheme with girls. Men get to be around if Mkhuleko is around.
“Did he say who he is?” I ask. She shakes her head no and proceeds with her journey around the flat. I will have to call Mkhulelo first. I know no one here in Durban other them him and Manqoba. I take the phone he gave me for emergencies and gave him a ring. He picks up a few rings and laughs. 
“Toti. I’m glad you called. Your pace is picking up and I love it. “
He tells me. This man is totally disrespecting me I see.
“There is a man...” 
“It’s okay. He will be your trainer for today.” Just like that he drops the call on me. I am the one who called and not him. I sigh feeling annoyed. Now I will have to learn someone new. Julie was very gentle with me, and I felt more comfortable since she was a woman and she understood me. I grab my phone leaving Mkhuleko’s phone behind. I bid my father farewell before leaving.
The man is following me behind and I don’t feel comfortable at all. 
“The black car on your right.” He instructs. Since we came out of the flat, he hasn’t said a word to me. His greeting was with a nod, and I just stared at him. This is going to be a long day for me. Now I wish I had classes.