THE OTHER BROTHER

TTHE OTHER BROTHER
CHAPTER 60
CYNTHIA

The day I never thought I would see. Everyone is here. The Zikode's and the Ngcobo family. Meaning Ngcobo and his wife. My worst nightmare I refused facing. I'm disturbed beyond shame. Mkhuseli is seating for away from everyone. I hate how he isolates himself every chance he gets
"Mfazi KaBafo. I believe you gathered this meeting to tell the boy the truth." One of the Zikode men say. I take a deep breath. I look at Mkhuseli once more. The pain cuts deep. I don't know how he would feel about this. He is about to find out.
"As you all know about the depth I paid when my husband was still alive. Alot happened..."
"Just get straight to the point."
This man is entirely rude. How dare he!
"Mkhuseli meet your father. Ngcobo meet your son."
I shamefully look down. I hear Mkhuseli laugh out loud like a mad hyena.
"I know that you hate me. But what you are subjecting me to is total bullshit!" He stands up ready to storm out.
"Sit down young man. You don't walk out while men are still talking." One of the men say. Baba Omncane has been silent looking down with his hand entwined. Mkhuseli slowly sits down and huffs angrily.
"Baba." He calls out for him. Baba Omncane lifts his head up an his eyes are bloody red. He is crying. They say don't cry but this is heart-breaking.
"You will always be my brother's son. Always. You may not be a Zikode by blood but you are our son." Tears roll down his cheeks.
"Cynthia. Please tell me that this is not true." My son has never called me by name. His eyes plead. I see emptiness in his eyes.
"I'm sorry I kept the truth away from you son. I was only trying to protect you." I add.
"You never valued me. I was always outcasted by you. The only person who made me sane was my father!" He kicks the bucket next to him. Luckily there is nothing inside. "You made me value myself less whereas you knew why! I hate you Cynthia! You deserve what happened to you. I wish he could do it again."
Gasps fill up the room. No one was expecting that. I'm shattered a thousand time. A son I gave birth to wish me upon bad. It's not fare. I was also suffering and still is. I was suffering in silence. Tears stream down my face as I look at Mkhuseli trembling. He runs out.
"He shouldn't drive. He is not in a good state." Baba Omncane says running after him. He comes back with is shoulder's slumbered.
"I couldn't stop him." That is not good enough! He should have tried harder.
_
I've been trying Mkhuseli on his phone with no luck. I am stressed, depressed and confused. I wouldn't bare the disappearance. My phone rings and it's a number I don't recognise. I quickly swipe thinking it might be him. Those bloody insurance people. I toss my phone aside. I don't know what to do or who to call. This is crazy. He might be with that girl.
I grab my phone from the couch and scroll through my phone book. Feels like it's taking forever to connect. Finally, it rings.
"Is Mkhuseli with you?"
"No. He said he was coming to you." Okay that's it! I'm going to the police station to open a file of a missing person.
_
_
_
To be honest, when it comes to the police service. The are just useless and stupid. How does get to have a person's missing document after twenty four hours? I feel like I wasted my time for sweet nothing. Nothing is going right. Running out of options and people to call. I wish I could just... I don't know. See him and give him a hug.
I wouldn't be able to sleep fully knowing that I don't have a clue of my son's where about. I lean against the couch and think of my next move. But I have none in mind.
"Thixo." I am burning on the inside. Labour pains are much more better of what I'm feeling now. Everything is aching painfully.
"Hmmm." I slap my thighs. Maybe I am dreaming. This is not real it can never be real. I stand up and I feel my head light headed. I sink back on the couch. Maybe if I told him earlier all of this wouldn't have happened. No one would be going through this.
"God." My lips tremble.

KHANYISILE

I look at the text message and frown. This is differently not the Mkhuseli I know. He just can't tell me that he has finalized everything with the planner and we are getting married this weekend. A lot of things still need to be verified. I don’t know what’s the rush. Our wedding is in six months time. I sigh placing my phone aside. I feel rushed, empty and incomplete. I can't help it. I'm miserable.
"Are you okay?"
Thabi asks closing my bedroom door. Today I decided to go visit my father and just spend time with him. I have missed my family so much. I fail to hold it in and just let the tears flow.
"How can I be. I can't love him. I fail to." A sob escapes my mouth. She asks no more questions but holds me close to her chest. She lets me cry it all out.
I'm now calm but it's not helping.
"Have you talked to him?" She asks. I shake my head no. I don't think it will make any difference. My life is ruined already. "Right now he wants us to get married as in yesterday. He is excited about everything but I'm not."
Thabi keeps quite for a bit.
"I think it's time you go see Mkhuleko in jail. It's been like five years and you still miserable."
Just hearing his name alone sends different signs of butterflies. I smile through the tears.
"There you have your answer. Stop torturing yourself and the poor guy. Just listen to your heart."
I smile. Thabi and her craziness. I receive a text from Amanda. Girl is having it rough.
"When is she giving birth again?" Thabi.
"By this month. It's about time! Girl has been pregnant for so long it exhausts me in a way. Who carries a huge stomach for ten months? Doesn't even make sense. But it is what it is.” I respond but quickly change the subject. Our relationship has been okay for the last couple of years.
"Where is dad going to?" I ask. When I arrived he was in a rush.
"Muntu wakhe obvious." Who would have thought that my one and only father would date. Not just any woman but my best friends mother! How surreal is that?
One thing I've learnt about my family is that we stick together through good and bad times. We are always there to lift each other up. My marriage with Mkhuseli - only God knows about it. It's time I go see that big head. Hope he will not reject to be seen by me this time around. I really need to talk to him. Share my feelings. That will not be a bad thing at all.