THE OTHER BROTHER

THE OTHER BROTHER 
CHAPTER 48
NGCOBO 

I have heard that the first few days in prison can feel traumatizing, especially to the individual who is incarcerated for the first time.  That is me. It's like being one of the living dead. Not knowing what's ahead at each stage, I am more afraid of what to find ahead. Being transported from Mtubatuba to Westville Prison in Durban. A lot of scenarios are playing in my head. I feel like a dangerous criminal of South Africa. I am at the back of a big truck with two small police vans on the sides.  I am on watch dog. Feels like I would escape. Even if I tried to. My plan will be executed before it can even set up.
I can see the freeway and I just know that I am just nearby.  This is devastating to be honest. My kids have abounded me. I have a son out there and I don't even know where to begin to look for him. A dead end has reached. Me trying to look for him was way too late. I am already locked up with no back up. I tried thinking of all the possible ladies I could have laid down with and no one came to mind. It could be much easier if somebody came forward from the go – and it happens that I was the one who denied the pregnancy. At this stage I am literally blank to a point where my mind no longer functions in the way it is supposed to be.  No one is on my corner. My guys split and went their separate ways. Everything has fallen apart. Gumede, whom I thought was my friend also showed me another side of him. Tears fill my eyes. I miss my mother at this moment. I know she would have made the situation better. She knew how to calm things down even when it was rough. She had that thing. I was a fool enough not to be the good son that she has always wanted. I blink away in tears. This is my life; I will never see my family again. The only person who stood by me was my wife MaNgcobo till this very end. That woman showed me a strong side of her I never knew existed. I guess I took her for granted. But I know that my mother's house will be left in warm hands, and I do know that my kids will go visit from time to time. I take a deep breath – I hate my life! I can feel us stopping.  As we pulled up to the tall gates with barbed wire wrapped around the tops my heart started pounding and my palms got really sweaty. The officer spoke into this box alerting the jail of my arrival. After a few minutes the gates cracked open, and we proceeded deeper into the property where we would then pull up to another gate with barbed wire along top. The waiting time was about ten minutes. Once this gate opened, we pulled in and were at the main entrance for inmates to be processed. I can hear my own heartbeat right on my throat.
The two officers I arrived with got out of the car and let me out of the back truck to walk me up to this large metal door. There was then a very loud long buzzing noise kind of like when someone lets you into an apartment building. The door cracked open, and they brought me inside to stand in this little cell like part with bars while on the other side there is a desk with lots of security guards. Too much security, wardens at the same time. Everyone is looking at me and I am sure they are wondering what this old’s man crime. One guard came up to me with a danger look on his face. 
“Your name?” He asks. 
“Sixakelile Ngcobo.” He looks at me with his eyebrows narrowed. He shakes his head and chucks. 
“I am sure that you followed your name pretty good Sixakekile.” He says it in mockery. One of the reasons why I hated my mother. I wish I had the time to ask her why she named me in that manner. I am sure there is a reason for this name. He then went over to grab a big duffle bag which later I would put all of my possessions in. I am being pushed forward like I refused to cooperate with them. I am told to stand in front of the gate like a statue and I do with no questions asked. I fear for my life. The gate cracked open, and the officers brought me in. These shackles are the heaviest. They make me feel the worst criminal one can find. The environment feels so cold and unsettling. You can tell that a lot of things go down here. They then released me from my shackles and told me to have fun. This place isn't exactly Disneyland. Once the officers left and I was in the hands of the guards.
“Have you ever been into jail before?” One asks standing beside me. 
"No." I replied. He nods his head and plays with the keys in his hand. 
“So, what were you arrested for?” He continues to ask. 
Shamefully I answered. “Fraud.” Again, he nods his head. They began to figure out where to put me. I bet you get to be thrown into a cell according to your arrest. Once that process was done, I was told to follow this one guard that was clearly on steroids around the corner to where he threw the blue duffle bag at me and told me to put all my clothes and everything into the bag. So as this muscle head is standing there staring at me. I start to undress and throw everything into this bag right down to my boxers. I try and give him the bag back and he says...
"The boxers too." I sigh and take them off too. Kids watching my nakedness. Maybe one of them could be my son. I look at both of them trying to spot the resemblance of me. Nothing. I should stop acting like a weird man. When the time is right, I know the lord will make a way for us to meet some day. It may not be now but in years' time. I still have hope and that hope will stay there until, only God decides.