THE OTHER BROTHER

THE OTHER BROTHER 
CHAPTER 24
KHANYISILE 

Waking up I find Mkhuleko staring at me with so much worry on his face. The light is shining so brightly in my eyes that I fail to keep my eyes open. He notices and quickly gets up to dim the blinds from sunshine. 
“Toti.” He helps me sit. My body hurts and I feel like I have been scraped into two pieces. I just stare at him. I don’t know whether to be mad at him or just get used to the man I am with. How will I identify this? Do I call it abuse? It starts with the little things then at a later stage it follows with the beatings. He caresses my arm and squashes himself next to me. 
“I cancelled my meetings. Couldn’t bear leaving you in the state you were in. I am so sorry for putting you under that pressure. But this is my life, and this is what I do for a living.” He adds. 
Still, I don’t get it. Whatever he is trying to explain makes no sense to me. 
“What do mean?” I finally ask. 
He holds my hands and kisses the back of it. “I am a hustler. I rob for a leaving. That is how I make money.” 
I am not sure if I am hearing him correctly or not. It must be the landing that affected my eardrum in a way.
“Guns, it’s part of my life. The little that you have shared with me is nothing compared to the life I live. What you witnessed yesterday is nothing to what I get to witness every day.” 
“I want t be left alone.” I say. All of this is just too much for me. I did not sign up for this at all. The way Manqoba approached me. If I was a normal person back then, I would have had time to dig. But no, I was too desperate to have a friend. Too desperate to be noticed. Too desperate...
“I am not going anywhere. If we have issues, we will resolve them until it’s solved. No matter how mad we are at each other, a room is where we get to solve all of our problems. I want us to talk about this now and see where we stand. If you want out, I will free you. But know that if you try dating – just know that man will be dead by morning.” 
“Mkhuleko!” 
“Yin. I am serious here.”
I have no other option do? “Tell me about this business of yours.” He takes a deep breath...

-

-

-

My mood is not usual than other day. I am a bit down today like something is about to happen. I feel like. You know what. Maybe I should study and forget about everything. Maybe I should just let the feeling slide. I take my texts books and decide to browse through. I am failing in every possible way. My mind is just in here, and everything is quite hard. In what level – I cannot explain. 
“Where are the boys?” My father asks. 
“They said they are going to take care of some business around town.”
I close my books and throw them aside. I am moody in a way. A text message came through my phone. It’s a text from Thabi asking me of my whereabouts. If I am okay and have settled in well. I respond and tell her I am perfectly fine where I am. She further adds that my parents are concerned about me. If they did, they wouldn’t have ever dropped me at the last minute. They should have been there for me when I needed them the most. And for her –she just went MIA on me. I asked her when her lobola day was. Her response was – she will notify me once the date has been set. Looks like she doesn't want me to be there. She was happy and excited at first but now she just cold towards me. You know what, I am done talking to her. I lock my phone and put it aside. There are some of the things I need back home. At least today is Friday. I will have to travel back home early tomorrow morning so that I will be able to be back in time. I don’t want to leave my father for too long without a care. Making matters worse Gugu will not be in tomorrow. Maybe asking her to pop by while I'm away will not be a bad thing. Plus, I will pay for the overtime. I sent her a text message and luckily, she agreed to it. My heart is at ease now knowing that my father will have company in my absence. 
“I should make us food.” 
I suggest. I know he must be hungry as well. 
“Please.” 
I go to the kitchen to make some sandwiches just to pass time until dinner. He appreciates every little gesture given. We say a little prayer and dig in. He always compliments me even when not necessary. Nothing calms my spirit seeing my father this happy. The man that makes me the apple of his eye. The pride in his eyes. I wish my own father was like this.
“I will be going down tomorrow. I just need a few things. I won’t even spend a night there.” I say. The look on his face is not pleasant at all. I also do not want to go back home but I really need these things. What choice do I have. 
“Take care of yourself. Don’t eat anything that they offer you.” 
Now he is scaring me. 
“Why is that?” 
“You are still young to understand.” He wheels himself out and leaves me confused. Whatever he meant – I shall obey. But I doubt my parents will ever do that to their own child they gave birth. 
“Remember, you are my daughter and not his.” He continues wheeling himself. I am left with this huge smile on my face. I love how he shows this fatherly overprotective side of his. I will listen to his advice. He wouldn’t have just warned me. Surely, he knows something I know none of. I clear the table and take the plates to the kitchen I will need as much rest as I could. I tidy around and head to the bedroom. There is nothing much to do around here. If Mkhuleko is not around I get easily bored. My arm is still sore. What happened yesterday takes me back the first time Manqoba saved me from those men. The way he popped up it’s like he was already waiting for me in a way. You know I may be naïve, but some things are clear. Just that I fail to concentrate. I don’t know whether it’s me failing to use my mind or it’s the laziness in me.