THE OTHER BROTHER

THE OTHER BROTHER 
CHAPTER 46
AT THE HOSPITAL

MaMsomi is pacing up and down speaking in tongues with a bible on her hands. Her daughter is looking at her like she has gone marbles. She is spitting whatever comes to mind. With her eyes closed – they are sure that the lord can hear her loud and clear. 
“Holy Spirit, drive away from my son all forms of sickness and disease. Restore strength to his body and joy to his spirit, so that in him renewed health. I know he will bless and serve you, now and forevermore. I know he will repent and...” 
“Mama. Not this again. He needs you now more than ever. You are preaching about his lifestyle will not make changes.  It will worsen the situation. Can we just behave like adults just for once.” Gengqele says with an eye roll. She knows that her mother can be dramatic at times. MaMsomi chucks. 
“The devil is using you. Fire in the name of Jesus Christ.” Okay looks like she stepped on her toe. She just looks at her mother without saying a word and takes a deep breath. Rather let her be and continue to preach to the walls of the hospital. The door opens and the doctor walks in carrying a file. 
“Greetings.” He takes off his glass and smiles. My mothers stop pacing up and down and runs to stand in front of the doctor. Now how will the doctor share the update with my mother all over his face. This woman sure knows how to embarrass me. 
“How is my son?" She asks. I hate it that she tries to stay strong for us. But I can see that each day comes with its own tantrum. Like today – she felt like preaching to the lord about God knows what. I know she is not a prayer warrior but today, she showed me another different side of her. The doctor smiles. 
"He is getting there but slowly. I could say the woman who has been spending a lot of time here has been doing a very good job I must say.” He adds. 
"Which woman?” I asked out of curiosity. Since when does my brother associates himself with women? His heart was heartbroken years ago and he swore to never fall in love again. All he does is to buy here and there. 
"The girlfriend. That woman is so strong. For her to fight for him to stay alive. I applaud her. A remarkable woman.”
My mother and I look at each other. This is news to us. Manqoba normally shares everything with me but today I got to receive information from strangers. I am somehow heartbroken. I am the first person Manqoba runs to when things go south for him. But part of me understands. He is here – when will he have the time to share the news with me. I take a deep breath and force a smile. 
"Is this the girl I met here last time?” My mother asks. I look at her with shock dancing on my face. So, this woman I call my mother has so much information, but she did not ounce to share any details. Never ever will I share any details with her from now onwards. 
"That is the one." 

-

-

-

“WeMah. Why haven't you told me that Manqoba has a pregnant girlfriend?” As much as I want to let this slide. I just can’t. 
“I never thought that about it really. I cannot even tell whether it’s his girlfriend or not. And I couldn’t ask anything about the state I found her in. The girl looked broken and looked like she had given up on life. But I took her numbers.” I should ask for the numbers and make sure to give the girl a call later. I want to know what she is to my brother. If she is indeed pregnant with my brother's child, then the family will have to step in. We cannot let my niece or nephew suffer just because my brother is in hospital. I know he would have done the same for me. That man loves his family more than anything. I park through the driveway. My mother stepped out after she gave me the number. I will be storing it as what vele. Manqoba2 will do for now until I get to know the girls name and background. I stepped out of the car and made my way in. Arriving I found Mkhuleko, his best friend, waiting for us. 
“Sisi omdala.” He greets. I love how he has always respected me. He has his hands clasped together out of respect. I smiled and opened my arms to give him a hug. He stands up and accepts. 
“What brings you here on this side of town. I haven't seen you for ages.” I say sitting down after taking a few breathing exercises. 
“Just thought to check up on my other family. Just want to know if you guys need anything or are you coping.”
“As you can see. Our lives have been a mess ever since my son was hospitalized.” My mother cries. Mkhuleko looks on the side. One can tell that he is breaking but trying to act strong at all cost. Such a rare brotherhood. 
“I haven't been the same for me either. I feel like I failed him in a way.” He adds. 
“Don’t blame yourself for this. If it was God’s will then it was. We just we need to stay strong as a family and pray hard.” I swear whichever way Jesus entered my mother is not good. I refuse to believe that my mother is talking about prayers and all. Phela this woman doesn’t like going to church for no reason. She is seen once a year – and that is on a Christmas day. The church members have accepted that MaMsomi is only seen on the twenty fifth of December. I really don’t know what is happening to this woman. 
“Pray?” Mkhuleko. He is shocked as I am. 
“Yes, ndodana pray.” He looks at me confused. I lift my hands up in surrender. This is something I don’t want to entertain. My mother is trying by all means for me to give birth in the early stages.